cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Ipad and Iphone viewing of long file names

Ipad and Iphone viewing of long file names

Shawn V.2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Our company is having the issue that on the mobile app (using the ipad or iphone) often times the file name is too long to properly view what we are opening. I want to be able to read the entire file name so I know what i am opening since many of the beginning and last parts of the file are exactly the same for filing purposes so I want to be able to view the file name without having to open each one in order to find out. I'm hoping I make sense. Is there something I'm missing where I'm able to do this? I can't "right click" on the file name cause I'm mobile otherwise I would try that 🙂

114 Replies 114

Bruce
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi everyone!

As of v4.0 the app now has a downward arrow button to the right of the file (or folder) name that will show you the full name, as well as other file (or folder) actions. This allows you to see the full name without leaving your current view. Appreciate the feedback and the posts to our community threads, thanks!

Elizabeth E.2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Bruce, yes this is a little better and we are using it.  But really the half and half screen doesn't really accomplish anything, as the right hand document remains the same as we scroll through files on the left.  What was the benefit intended from having a split screen?  The full screen list of file names works great on the computer, and would work great for iPads and iPhones.  Don't you think? Also, once we click to open a document we have to click again to get rid of the left pane and open up full document view. And who wants to click down a loooong list of file names one at a time to find the right document? Other than that, Dropbox is just fabulous and don't know how I lived without it!  ;^)

Shawn V.2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Again agree with Elizabeth!!! This needs to change soon!

Bruce
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks Elizabeth, Shawn and everyone else for this feedback! Will be sure the team sees this as we look at improving the experience on iPads, and viewing files in general.

Calum M.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

It would be fantastic if there were an option to turn of the auto preview, thereby providing more space for file names etc.

alex g.33
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Clicking on arrows next to every file name is not a good solution! This is very time consuming and frustrating. Sometimes I switch to my android phone just so I can hold it in landscape and actually read the file names. Drop box is now almost unusable on my iPad. Please give us a full width list view.

DolphinR1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

No ability to read complete file names with ipad is a huge dysfunction and has been for years.  It's so wrong that it's almost as if no decison-maker at DB has ever looked with his or her own eyes at listing of multiple file names on an Ipad.  Their solution - to look at the details of every single file just to get at the name, even when that list may be dozens or hundreds of files long - is so out-of-touch with the real world that it just boggles the mind.  These kids coding away in their cublicles seem to have no concept of business requirements in the real world.  It's crazy, considering how good Dropbox is in most other ways.  This issue has been raised again and again for years and years, and despite happy assurances that it will get addressed, it never has and almost certainly never will.  DB rarely listened to customer feedback in the early days, and now, as a behemoth, it never does.  So either learn to live with it, or move on to an alternate cloud solution that addresses this need.  There are quite a few. 

Ralf B.6
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

The crazy thing is, that dropbox on the iPhone shows long filenames in landscape mode, but at the iPad it seems to be incredible complicated to make this basic and simple function work.

Mariedb
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi there! 

Thanks for your feedback about Dropbox on iPad. With the newest release of Dropbox, you should see a downward arrow that will show you the entire file name. 

We are aware of the issue with truncated file names and we are working towards a solution to this. 

Thanks again for passing it along and let me know if there's anything else I can do for you! 

Shawn V.2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Marie, as stated above numerous times the drop down menu is useless when you need to quickly view 100 files and find the right one. We know it's there now get on to actually coming out with a version that actually fixes this problem!!!! Or our business too will be forced to change to another cloud!!'

Need more support?