cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Iphone-Strongbax does not save changes to file on Dropbox

Iphone-Strongbax does not save changes to file on Dropbox

MadRanger
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I upgraded my iPhone, deleted the Dropbox account from the old phone (so I now have only three machines connected) and now changes made to my Strongbox file via the iPhone are not saved. How do I resolve that?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

When you go to https://www.dropbox.com/account/connected_apps can you see StrongBox listed?

What happens if you disconnect it? That should stop the device working on the phone if its one account and ask you to relink.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @MadRanger, welcome to our Community and thanks for using Dropbox!

Can you please share some additional information about this issue and, if possible, send me a screenshot as well so that I can have a better look into this?

For example, can you walk me through the steps you're taking to edit this file and then upload it to your Dropbox account? 

Thanks so much!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

MadRanger
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks for your followup query.

I created a dB file in an early version of KeePass and saved it to Dropbox. I read that same file with mini-Keepass on an iPhone-7 so that data changes were in sync -- which is the prime reason I chose Keepass. 

I eventually converted to Strongbox without any known problems. Syncing was certainly not a problem.

When I upgraded to an iPhone=12 this week, I selected the same file on Dropbox. Test changes made via the iPhone-12 did not save to Dropbox. And changes made to the desktop were not being picked up by Strongbox on the iPhone

I did try using iCloud without success. In that event, I simply copied the file from DropBox over to iCloud.

I am back using only Dropbox.

The data file in the PC Dropbox folder shows 66 KB while the file as displayed on the iPhone/ Strongbox/ Dropbox shows 56 KB and I can't account for the difference since there is only one Strongbox file my Dropbox. I had to take a picture (jpg) of the screen shot because png was not a proper file type.

MadRanger picture of a screenshotMadRanger picture of a screenshot

Thank you.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

I've not used StrongBox so just wondering - does it have Dropbox saving and reading capability? 

Apps themselves need to be configured to write to Dropbox and then read from Dropbox. It cannot just 'happen' even if files are stored offline etc. due to how Apple sandbox.

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

MadRanger
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Good question, Mark.

When looking for an existing database, Strongbox allows "Select Storage Location"  in multiple places: "Files, Google Drive, Dropbox, OneDrive, WebDAV, SFTP, Copy from a URL, Transfer Over Local Network.

So, since Strongbox does look for files in Dropbox - I see no reason why reading & writing there should be an issue. And as I indicated - it used to work until I went to iPhone-12.

And now that I have listed those locations - perhaps the key word is "storage". I am using the same storage location for the PC and iPhone. The PC reads, writes and "stores" data there. To your point about "configured to write to Dropbox".  The nuance of the question is outside my skill, but Strongbox reads from Dropbox why should it not also write/store to the same location. Again: 1) not my skill set, and 2) it has stored in the past.

Thanks.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Ok, thats a good start - I'd go to Strongbox now and ask why its not connecting properly. Everything from this side seems to be

MadRanger
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Wilco, Mark. Thanks.

MadRanger
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

OK.

I went to Strongbox for help. Their working hypothesis is that I have two Dropbox accounts with two separate Strongbox files:

1) being read/written by the PC app, and

2) being read/written by the iPhone app.

Their hypothesis so far holds water since there are two file sizes (66kB & 56KB) at play in my ticket.

And...when I rename the file in use on the PC, the renamed file does not show up on the Dropbox being read by Strongbox, which again, neatly supports their hypothesis.

If I have two accounts (seriously doubt I do) I have no means of selecting an alternate Dropbox account via the Strongbox. In emails with Strongbox I have advised I would try to prove the negative - that I don't have two accounts.  

How do I prove I don't have two accounts?

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

When you go to https://www.dropbox.com/account/connected_apps can you see StrongBox listed?

What happens if you disconnect it? That should stop the device working on the phone if its one account and ask you to relink.

MadRanger
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Well, Mark, based upon your suggestion, you may be Mark@Strongbox. Here is what he suggested and which worked perfectly.

"You can always sign out of Dropbox in Strongbox, by Preferences (Gear Icon top right) > Cloud > Manage Cloud Provider Sessions > Unlink Dropbox

"Now, that you've clear that, you can try to Add again ( + > Add Existing... > Dropbox), at which point you'll be asked to sign in. Just make sure you sign in with the right account (the one that matches the one on your PC)... Perhaps this will help.

"Please do let us know how it goes."

Thanks, Mark@Dropbox,  for your help and several suggestions.

Regis

Brooks, GA

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
    MadRanger Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?