cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Dropbox 64 bit or 32 bit on Mac OS?

Is Dropbox 64 bit or 32 bit on Mac OS?

spiderlite
Helpful | Level 5

My mac prompts me that dropbox will be incompatable in the future as the mac OS will, in due course only support 64 bit apps. And "Dropbox" is 32 bit. Is there a simple fix or is it something that can be safely ignored?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: 64 bit or 32 bit

spiderlite
Helpful | Level 5

Jane

I have been patient and when I check the version in use it now shows 67.4.83. So I think it has resolved itself. 

I didn't download this version but gave it a few days to see if it fixed itself. And it has.

Thank you for your advice and help but I think everything is OK now.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Jane
Dropboxer
Hey there (@spiderlite), I've got good news for you, as our desktop application is 64-bits (x86_64) on macOS since Stable Build 53.4.66 :wink: however (if you don’t mind me asking) can you elaborate a bit on the error message you’ve received on your end, in order to further address your initial inquiry? Thanks in advance!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

spiderlite
Helpful | Level 5

Thanks for the quick response. Unfortunately I cannot recall the actual wording but it stated that my "Dropbox" app was 32 bit and the app needed to be updated in order to meet future Mac OS requirements. This appears to be an automated 'warning' that will appear on a 30 day basis (according to the Apple support page - but this was a general description of such messages and wasn't specific to Dropbox).

When I look at Dropbox : Preferences : General : About Dropbox : it is v66.4.84.

I am using macOS Mojave Vn. 10.14.3.

Hopefully we are talking about the same thing. Do I simply have an old version of dropbox that is not updating automatically?

Jane
Dropboxer
Thanks a lot for taking the time to clarify matters for me (@spiderlite)! 

Now, based on your description, you may have missed our last update that was released just a few hours ago (67.4.83). From there, I’d like to point you to the syncing icons on your Mac :arrows_counterclockwise:/:white_check_mark: that will help you paint a clearer picture of whether you’re syncing to your account online correctly. If you’re facing an issue loading your syncing icons, I’d recommend unlinking & relinking your account on your desktop once, as it recreates the local database

Last but not least (& just in order to focus more on your initial inquiry), I’m wondering if this was merely a one-off. Have you seen that recently by any chance? In other words, if your device is updating as it should, then you may feel free to ignore this message however I’d agree that maybe it was triggered by a missing update. 

Please let me know of your findings in your next message here so as to follow-up with you as closely as possible. I’ll be awaiting your next reply!

Jane
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

spiderlite
Helpful | Level 5

Jane, thank you for your patience.

I have unlinked and relinked without any problem. 

I am unsure if you think I should go through the process of updating manually using your link to the 67.4.83 installer. I presume if I do this it 'overwrites' the current version and does not install a separate version.

I am lost when you say "point you to the syncing icons on your Mac that will help you paint a clearer picture of whether you’re syncing to your account online correctly". Do you mean that the Dropbox folder should have a syncing icon? Or that the icons should appear elsewhere on the Mac?

I can confirm the Dropbox folder does have a syncing icon and when the cursor hovers over it the message 'in progress' appears. Whether this is a good thing or not I don't know. I am happy to wait to see if this installs the most up to date version. At the moment, after the unlink/relink process I am still on 66.4.84.

If I have to leave the Mac on overnight to allow the process to complete i am happy to do so but this seems a bit unusual these days.

In the meantime there is no operational problem with Dropbox, my concern was that an issue would arise in future.

Jane
Dropboxer
I appreciate your detailed message (@spiderlite), let me follow-up a bit more closely on that!

I presume if I do this it 'overwrites' the current version and does not install a separate version.
Yes, that’s absolutely right, as the new version should have overwritten the previous one when you re-linked (i.e. when the desktop app connects to our server, it can determine whether there's a new version- which didn't occur in this case)

I am unsure if you think I should go through the process of updating manually using your link to the 67.4.83 installer.

That would be our next step; I’d suspect that something could be blocking our application from running as it should & I’d appreciate it if you could try the following for me: 

Spoiler
  • Stop Dropbox (if needed) by clicking the Dropbox icon in the menu bar on the top of your screen. >Click on the gear icon in the Notifications panel and select "Quit Dropbox". 
  • Delete the Dropbox application from the Applications folder. You may need to provide your computer password in order to perform this action. 
  • Reinstall the Dropbox desktop application following these steps:
  • Open the Dropbox .dmg file and double click the Dropbox icon. Dropbox should appear in your menu bar.

Or that the icons should appear elsewhere on the Mac?

I can confirm the Dropbox folder does have a syncing icon and when the cursor hovers over it the message 'in progress' appears. Whether this is a good thing or not I don't know. I am happy to wait to see if this installs the most up to date version. At the moment, after the unlink/relink process I am still on 66.4.84.

You should be able to see the syncing status on each individual file in your Finder Window (i.e. when you’re looking in the files stored the Dropbox folder), as long as you’ve enabled the Finder integration

Please do let me know how you get on with these steps & I’ll do my best to check back with you here. Thanks again for sticking with me! 

(PS. I understand that this may have been non-disruptive previously & my suggestions aim to prevent any issues from arising in the future.)

Jane
dropbox.com/support

spiderlite
Helpful | Level 5

Jane

I have been patient and when I check the version in use it now shows 67.4.83. So I think it has resolved itself. 

I didn't download this version but gave it a few days to see if it fixed itself. And it has.

Thank you for your advice and help but I think everything is OK now.

Jane
Dropboxer

Ah, thanks for sharing the news (@spiderlite); glad to hear that has been sorted for you! Now that you know where you can find us, please don’t hesitate to get back in touch again in case you have more questions or you’d like to share your thoughts. Happy Dropboxing ahead & enjoy the rest of your day! :slight_smile:

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jane Dropboxer
    spiderlite Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?