cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you an educator? Well we want to hear from you, so check out some tools we think might help you out here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Dropbox aware that they are being blamed for major Win10 problems?

Is Dropbox aware that they are being blamed for major Win10 problems?

Taffy087
New member | Level 1

I recently upgraded from Win7 to Win10. I'm now one of many who have a Critical Failure and have lost their start icon/menu.

There are two HUGE threads in the Microsoft Community:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_search/start-menu-doesnt-appe...

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_cortana/critical-error-start-menu-an...

and in both threads users are being told by MS engineers & MVPs that Dropbox is to blame and should be uninstalled.

I did this and it did bring back the lost Start icon on one User Account but not the main UA. I was delighted to find that you have my images in the Cloud but if Dropbox is not aware of being blamed  for the Win10 fiasco (it affects new PCs too and has been ongoing for a year) then you really need to look at the threads.

By the way, MS is also blaming Norton security products too but that's to get us to use Defender.

Good hunting.

PS It's my first post - I can't see the usual "email me when there's a reply" - is that done automatically?

5 Replies 5

Re: Is Dropbox aware that they are being blamed for major Win10 problems?

Mark
Super User II

MS is also blaming Norton security products too but that's to get us to use Defender.

Not sure on the whole issue as I dont really use Windows 10, but, possibly same reason to blame Dropbox is to get you on OneDrive? Just me having a cynical moment....

Either way, it maybe worth logging a ticket with Dropbox so they see it - this is after all a user supported forum. 

www.dropbox.com/support. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Robert S.
Experienced Collaborator | Level 11

There are two HUGE threads in the Microsoft Community:

Many more than that, in fact.

... in both threads users are being told by MS engineers & MVPs that Dropbox is to blame and should be uninstalled.

That's strange, I've trawled through both and more besides and have yet to see an official MS representative deviate substantially from their official line.

IMHO, the most cursory research clearly shows this is not in any way unique to Dropbox - it has been seen related to Avast, Norton, and many other apps for people who do not even have DB. Yes, uninstalling DB may "fix" the issue for some, while uninstalling Avast or Norton or whatever might equally "fix" it for others, albeit temporarily. If you search the MS forums and other vendor forums, you will find non-DB users experiencing this same problem and until MS get around to patching the underlying problem in their OS, it can apparently resurface at any time. Avast, Norton, DB just seem to be a few of the more abundant cases where an erroneous link is forged, likely due to the prevalence of these products on peoples machines.

Further lively discussion, here.

Taffy087
New member | Level 1

you're both correct of course - fancy suggesting MS are pushing OneDrive (and Defender - and Edge). As if it would!!!! lol.  I got yellow-carded by an MVP/Moderator for having suggested that. (Yellow-carded as in football/soccer, the final warning before red-carded = get out!)

I'm sure, Robert S., that you were tongue-in-cheek when you said "have yet to see an official MS representative deviate substantially from their official line". They won't - they daren't - that would bring some US states down on them, the EU too.

As long as you know, and are keeping watch, then I'm relieved - by the way I've noticed that many of those who say uninstall Norton or Dropbox are new members - it would be cynical to suggest that they're MS engineers etc spreading dis-information.

PS Is there a "email me if there's a reply" facility?

Taffy087
New member | Level 1

in case you're interested:

(from Microsoft Community - Critical Error thread)

JudiSmith2XL replied on February 25, 2016See post history

ReplyIn reply to SamT78's post on February 24, 2016

I uninstalled Dropbox and did not reinstall it - ever.  It got rid of the Critical Error message - for about 2 weeks.  The error message is back, no Dropbox, Start Menu still not working.

Robert S.
Experienced Collaborator | Level 11

I'm sure, Robert S., that you were tongue-in-cheek when you said "have yet to see an official MS representative deviate substantially from their official line".

Deadly serious. An allegation of impropriety was made in the opening post, i.e., "... users are being told by MS engineers & MVPs that Dropbox is to blame and should be uninstalled" for which there is no substantiation. Not cool.

As for what others might be saying, unfortunately, until MS get around to patching the underlying problem in their OS, misinformation and snake oil will no doubt continue to be the order of the day. There's nothing DB or any other vendor can do about it, the issue is in Microsoft's hands, only they can fix it.

Refer to this (rather lengthy) thread for more information.

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Robert S. Experienced Collaborator | Level 11
    Taffy087 New member | Level 1
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?