cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Windows 10 on ARM going to be compatible with the Dropbox desktop app?

Is Windows 10 on ARM going to be compatible with the Dropbox desktop app?

TobiasBerg
New member | Level 2

I just bought a new computer, and I didn't even know that it had a special processor, Arm. Well, it seems that Dropbox does't go very well with that yet:

https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/desktop/windows-10-arm

So my question is... will there be an application developed for arm as well? I depend on Dropbox as I am sharing a lot of things with people, and I think it would create to much fuzz to force them into other solutions, such as Google Drive or similar. 

If there are no plans for a "Dropbox on arm" in the near future, I will go back with my computer and get a different one. 

Thanks for any help in this issue!

16 Replies 16

Re: Windows 10 on arm

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hey @TobiasBerg, thanks for sharing your feedback with us here!

Currently, the desktop app is indeed incompatible with ARM processors, but you can still use the website and the Dropbox for S mode app on your device.

You can also have a look at this thread where users are posting their interest and upvoting the idea for compatibility with ARM processors. 

I understand that this may not be the ideal reply you were looking for, but I hope it helps to some extent. 

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Dropbox on Galaxy Book S

daveark
New member | Level 2

I'm trying to install Dropbox on my new Galaxy Book S but it will only let me install in S mode. Help!

Re: Dropbox on Galaxy Book S

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hi there @daveark, thanks for reaching out to us here!

I've just merged your post here so that you can have a look at the previous discussion.

From what I could find, the Galaxy Book S has ARM processors, which I'm afraid aren't compatible with the desktop app for computers. You can find out more info on this here.

With this device, you would only be able to use the Dropbox for S mode app that is available through the Microsoft store, or access your account through the website as Lusil mentioned.

Sorry that I couldn't be of much more help with this.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: Dropbox on Galaxy Book S

daveark
New member | Level 2

ok thanks

ARM processor

ARM Processor
New member | Level 2

Has anything been resolved with installing dropbox with a ARM processor?  Surface Pro X?

Re: ARM processor

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hi @ARM Processor, thanks for reaching out to us. 

I moved your post under this thread as other users have asked about ARM processors. 

Although the desktop app is incompatible with ARM processors, you can use the Dropbox for S mode app, instead.

Also, as mentioned in my original reply, you can check out this thread where others have shared their interest on this capability and have upvoted it. 

I hope this helps to some extent, but let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Darch2
Explorer | Level 4

I don't think it's good enough that Dropbox won't release code that allows all of the functionality of Dropbox to work on an ARM processor. The app or website version is almost useless for what I need it for and if Dropbox don't get with the times, they will be replaced by OneDrive. I've loved and used Dropbox for years but I am so disappointed that it's incompatible with my brand new surface and they seemingly have no intention to rectify the problem. So disappointing.

AndyLamb
New member | Level 2

I agree, loved dropbox for years but if this doesnt get sorted then i'll be forced to use Onedrive instead. The guy above avoided the original question about when dropbox will code this......is there an answer????

Re: Windows 10 on arm

Earbean
New member | Level 2

Dropbox desktop app for ARM is essential; or at least make a 32 bit version for emulated use. 

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?