Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Is it possible to bypass the initial Sign-in flow using SSO on the Dropbox desktop application?

Explorer | Level 4

We're looking at intergrating our Dropbox for Business accounts with the client devices.  I've read all the documentation for enabling SSO in the admin portal and the Dropbox AD connector (we have this running).

When a user first logs in, we want the Dropbox client to autmatically pass thru the authentication and log in without prompting the user - is this possible?

I know the user only has to do it once then it remembers, however in an environment where profiles are deleted at log off, this isn't a solution - it means they have to log in each time.  I've looked for GPO's , scripts, etc.  Has anyone had this working?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Dropbox Client SSO at log in?

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @OriginalMOS, it looks like you’ve already configured SSO for your existing team members, however you’d like to avoid that for newly added colleagues, am I right in my assumption? 

When it comes to those already using our desktop client, let me quickly re-iterate that if they’ve already linked this specific device, they don't need to do anything. However, it’s my understanding that you wish to avoid this flow for new users as well, which isn’t currently an option, as they should setup Dropbox on their connected devices from scratch. 

I hope that this brings a bit of clarity on your inquiry & I’ll leave this question open to our Community of users; maybe someone could offer their insight on how you’d best go about on this request. Thanks for taking the time to drop us a line on the Community & have a wonderful Friday ahead!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @OriginalMOS, it looks like you’ve already configured SSO for your existing team members, however you’d like to avoid that for newly added colleagues, am I right in my assumption? 

When it comes to those already using our desktop client, let me quickly re-iterate that if they’ve already linked this specific device, they don't need to do anything. However, it’s my understanding that you wish to avoid this flow for new users as well, which isn’t currently an option, as they should setup Dropbox on their connected devices from scratch. 

I hope that this brings a bit of clarity on your inquiry & I’ll leave this question open to our Community of users; maybe someone could offer their insight on how you’d best go about on this request. Thanks for taking the time to drop us a line on the Community & have a wonderful Friday ahead!

Jane

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Hey @Jane - thanks for the quick reply.

Yes, i did want to skip the 'Configure Dropbox' at each log on and have it automatically configure itself either with some default settings in the default user profile on windows or GPO Settings.

Is there anything like this on the horizon to make it more Enterprise friendly?

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

dropbox.JPG

Out of interest, the instructions say 'Leave Password blank and Click Continue' - i'm not given the option here? : https://help.dropbox.com/business/sso-team-member

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @OriginalMOS, I’d happily pass your interest on to our higher-level technicians for future iterations. That said, it would worth noting that you should start typing the email address & then proceed clicking on the Sign in button. 

Please let me know how you get on with that or in case you have any additional questions or concerns & I’ll do my best to check back with you soon. Enjoy your weekend until we talk again! 

Jane

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?