cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to disable the sync icons on files in Explorer?

Is it possible to disable the sync icons on files in Explorer?

Mr T
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

How can I disable the overlay icons, that are showing the current sync status of dropbox in the explorer? I need them for other applications that I am using. Windows 10 can obvioulsy only handle 15 icons, but the most of them are used by dropbox per default.

The only solution I found is to delete the registry entrys of dropbox in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers, but they were obvioulsy installed again automatically. This is getting really annoying :triumph:.

Is there a possibility to disable these icons anywhere in the dropbox settings? I did not found an option for it. The only icon that would be helpful is the green "sync OK" icon, the rest of it is not relevant for me. Can I maybe modify some kind of *.ini file e.g. of dropbox to get rid of the useless icons?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

There are no options within Dropbox to disable the icon overlays. The only solution is to remove the Registry entries and then remove permissions from the Registry key so that nothing can write to it again. This is NOT supported by Dropbox, or likely Microsoft for that matter. Use caution if you proceed.

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

There are no options within Dropbox to disable the icon overlays. The only solution is to remove the Registry entries and then remove permissions from the Registry key so that nothing can write to it again. This is NOT supported by Dropbox, or likely Microsoft for that matter. Use caution if you proceed.

Briskola
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Hi, Can I remove the check mark on every sync on my Windows and Mac pc ?20201005_142644.jpgfile ?

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Briskola!

It seems you have a similar question to the OP here, so I've moved your post to this thread.

When you have the chance, please check out the info here and let me know if you have any questions. Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

StopMessingWithOverlayIcons
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Hello! I created idea to solve this issue and have been collecting votes for it since April 2020.

It has 44 votes but still remains in "Needs more votes" status.

Please take a look and place your vote. Together we will win https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-ideas/Add-option-to-disable-icon-overlays-in-Windows-Explore... 

Mr T
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Why is this marked as "accepted solution" and the topic set to "solved"? :laughing: I did not accept it, since it is no solution for me...

I would like to avoid to remove any permissions of this registry key. Who knows what will happen at the next installation of any tool that tries to write any new data there. :zipper_mouth: 

At Anyone who reads this topic: please let a vote in @StopMessingWithOverlayIcons idea, if you are having the same issue.

Mr T
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

uninstall dropbox or delete regularly the registry entry @Briskola  :wink:

wrxmarcus
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have a OneDrive subscription that came with O365. 

I will likely stop using dropbox and use OneDrive (😪) if there is no way to disable the overlay icon overwriting in the registry.

This is very frustrating. I need overlay icons for other programs; I do not need them for dropbox.

Is this feature in-the-works?

NigDig
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Forget it.   People have been on at Dropbox for years about this and they do nothing about it.  I uninstalled dropbox years ago, but had to start using Dropbox again because an annoying co-worker uses it.  It came as no surprise to find that it still had not been fixed.

L. M.1
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I understand why you have them, but there should be an option to turn them off. I have my Windows Desktop within DropBox, and they get in the way. I keep turning them off via Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers or using autoruns, but they keep reappearing.

The user is right.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

L. M.1 Explorer | Level 4
    jonobo Explorer | Level 4
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?