cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is my Dropbox folder on my computer secure?

Is my Dropbox folder on my computer secure?

CLTroutt
New member | Level 2

Hello - I installed the desktop app on my work computer at the company I work for.  And I sync all of my persoanl files between it and my home computer.  I am wondering if the admins in IT can see my personal files if they are logged into my work computer with their account IDs?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Desktop app security

Mark
Super User II
Unfortunately what I would say is that the admins probably dont even need to log on to your computer to see the information if the network is configured correctly.

In terms of the specific question I would imagine if they log on as admin to your local device they will have full access to every drive and directory and so yes, would have access to your data stored on the computer.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Mark
Super User II
Unfortunately what I would say is that the admins probably dont even need to log on to your computer to see the information if the network is configured correctly.

In terms of the specific question I would imagine if they log on as admin to your local device they will have full access to every drive and directory and so yes, would have access to your data stored on the computer.

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

Rich
Super User II
Mark is correct. Your IT admin can see anything on your computer, and they don't have to log in to do it. Unless you encrypt your files, anything on your computer is accessible to IT.

How do I know this? I'm an IT admin and I see everything on my networks. 🙂

CLTroutt
New member | Level 2
Thank you, Mark. I was afraid of that.

CLTroutt
New member | Level 2
Thank you, Rich. Is that true even if the company installed bitlocker on my computer?

Mark
Super User II
I would certainly imagine so.

After all it is a network admins job to ensure there is nothing on the network that shouldnt be as well as keep it running smoothly.

Most networks also include some sort of key logging software so if you did try and get around things with secure vaults etc. it wouldnt take them *too* long to access the data if they really wanted to.

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
    CLTroutt New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?