cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Is the new Dropbox desktop app available on Linux?

Is the new Dropbox desktop app available on Linux?

miguelfp
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Dear all,

While checking the preferences menu on my Dropbox app from Linux, I noticed that a new hyperlink named 'Try the new dropbox Desktop app' appeared. However, it seems that it is only available on Mac and Windows.

Are there any plans about porting this app to linux?

I recently upgraded to a paid suscription, and I wonder whether Linux users can expect a similar level of support as our friends using Windows and Mac.

With best regards,

Miguel

19 Replies 19

alinuxfan
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I am on v76.3.120, which a search shows was released in the last few days. That being said, it is still the same app as before.  Nothing released for Linux (as far as I can tell) and yes, I am opted into the Beta.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey peeps! 

Thanks for your updates here, I’ll be keeping an eye out for any possible updates we may receive of this and ensure to let you know here, should there be any changes. As of now though, the new desktop app interface isn’t available for Linux OS on the stable or beta versions.

I’ve nudged our dev team again with your updates here and let them know of your interest of having this feature.

Cheers!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

ocolluphid
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi,

I would also like to second the wish for a Linux version of the desktop app! Please let us know if there are ny updates 🙂

Thanks!

Amnon Y.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I think the fair and responsible thing to do is to:

1. Mention explicitly that there is no "new desktop experience" for linux now. The same for "spaces" etc.
  2. Remove all the irrelevant promos regarding this nonexistent service from linux users.
  3. If indeed these new services are useful (not just empty hot air), then speed up the creation of the linux version.

Yours, AY

Crivotz
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Unfortunately, we are no longer following the same direction. Good luck with your service and thanks for all the fish.

Maikol
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Still, 2020 and there are no new updates about this... Keep waiting.

luiscunhamx
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hey hey, I am looking forward to seeing the new version for Linux too. Please keep us updated.

Cheers

L

RogueScholar
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Also popping my head in to express my hopes for a port of the new client to Linux.

@Daphne On a closely related matter, I thought I might pull someone's coat (respectfully) about the APT repository for the legacy client. Though it's functioning fine still, I'm afraid no one has updated the Ubuntu release pools in it for over a year. The newest available in it is still 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish, while we're currently at 19.10 Eoan Ermine and preparing for the release of another LTS version with 20.04 Focal Fossa in ~8 weeks. The current package was well-done and none of the dependencies seem to be an issue, but it's always nice to use packages built against the toolchain for the system you're running. If someone stumbles upon a spare few minutes (I know, I know, such things are only myths that non-devs try to get under our skin with) to bring it back in sync, that would be lovely. :nerd:

-Peter

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi there @RogueScholar, apologies for the delayed reply!

I just wanted to let you know that we recently updated the Linux packages, which you can check out here.

While Eoan hasn't specifically been added to this list, I've passed along your feedback to the team to let them know your interest in this.

Sorry that I can't be of much further help with this, but do let me know if you have any other questions.

Hope you have a great day!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

mdriftmeyer
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Those packages need to be updated to the latest Pango version. Ubuntu, Debian, etc have moved making Dropbox broken.

Need more support?