cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the new Dropbox desktop app available on Linux?

Is the new Dropbox desktop app available on Linux?

miguelfp
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Dear all,

While checking the preferences menu on my Dropbox app from Linux, I noticed that a new hyperlink named 'Try the new dropbox Desktop app' appeared. However, it seems that it is only available on Mac and Windows.

Are there any plans about porting this app to linux?

I recently upgraded to a paid suscription, and I wonder whether Linux users can expect a similar level of support as our friends using Windows and Mac.

With best regards,

Miguel

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey again @miguelfp,

Unfortunately the redesigned Dropbox desktop tray isn’t available on Linux. The new Dropbox desktop app is indeed currently only available on supported Windows and Mac OS. 

I understand this isn’t exactly the answer you were looking for. As you’ve expressed your interest in having the new desktop app available on Linux systems too, I’ve passed your comments along to our dev team for review in future improvements.

If you have any other questions, please let me know - Cheers!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

19 Replies 19

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey there @miguelfp,

I’m just checking on this with my team to ensure that I give you the correct information. I’ll make sure to update you here when I have more info about this!

Hope you have a great day ahead - Cheers!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey again @miguelfp,

Unfortunately the redesigned Dropbox desktop tray isn’t available on Linux. The new Dropbox desktop app is indeed currently only available on supported Windows and Mac OS. 

I understand this isn’t exactly the answer you were looking for. As you’ve expressed your interest in having the new desktop app available on Linux systems too, I’ve passed your comments along to our dev team for review in future improvements.

If you have any other questions, please let me know - Cheers!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

alinuxfan
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I second the app for Linux. My company is already implementing usage for the folks on Windows and Mac.

Thank you,

Adam

blainux
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I've enrolled my team for early access to the "New Dropbox desktop app".  Many of our users are running Linux.  Are the new app features (Surface GUI?) available for Linux?  I currently have v75.3.133 installed.

Thanks!

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey there @blainux,

Just to note, I’ve moved your post here as it is relevant to this this topic. As mentioned above, the new desktop app currently isn’t available on Linux OS. I’ll be passing along your comments and interest to our dev team for consideration in future developments. 

I’m always here if you have any other questions about this - Cheers!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Crivotz
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

If the new version for linux doesn't come out, will it be possible to continue using the old one?
Will there be a lightweight client for folder synchronization only (like the current one, for instance)?

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey there @Crivotz,

You can still use the desktop app on your Linux device to sync your Dropbox content. The new interface is currently an opt-in additional feature, so there is no change to the basic functionality of the Dropbox folder syncing. 

Hope this helps - Cheers!  

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

msf42
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I'd like to add another vote for Linux. The biggest reason I've been a loyal Dropbox customer for years is that they have always supported Linux the same as Win/Mac.

msf42
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Screenshot from 2019-07-02 14-33-01.png

I got this reply on Twitter. I opted in, but I still don't have it. @Daphne @miguelfp @blainux @alinuxfan 

Edit.. I just got this response

Screenshot from 2019-07-02 14-36-43.png

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

mdriftmeyer Explorer | Level 4
    Daphne Dropbox Staff
    RogueScholar Explorer | Level 4
    luiscunhamx Helpful | Level 5
    Maikol Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?