cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way of syncing files automatically with Dropbox from my iMac?

Is there a way of syncing files automatically with Dropbox from my iMac?

Mitch P.6
Explorer | Level 3

I use dropbox on 2 devices, my iMac desktop and a Macbook pro. If I want to leave my office and take my laptop, I ususally open the laptop to let dropbox sync before I leave. However, dropbox does not sync automatically. If I click on the Dropbox icon in the menu bar it say's it's up to date but it's not. To get it to update I have to pause dropbox, wait a few seconds and then resume syncing. Then dropbox will sync and be truely up to date. I know this isn't how it's suppossed to work. What can I try to make it work correctly please? 

Thanks in advance

Mitch

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Is there a way of syncing files automatically with Dropbox from my iMac?

Jay
Dropboxer
Generally, after brief research, there can be some issues with apps working normally after waking up from sleep, and it’s not just the Dropbox app which could be affected.

However a reinstall of the Dropbox desktop application would be worth trying to see if this helps!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

cudong
New member | Level 2

@Mitch, I have same issue last time, the reason is you have not completed sync all file on iMac before leaving office, so that the files doesnt appear on your MacbookPro. 

Mitch P.6
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for taking the time to reply, though I obviously haven't explained myself correctly. The problem isn't that my dropbox on my laptop isn't up to date, it is, but it is only up to date because I force it to be up to date. If I left it to it's own devices it would not sync. It's this behavior I want to correct. 

Thanks

Mitch

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi Mitch, are you opening up the laptop after it was in sleep/hibernation mode? 

Have you freed up any resources in your Mac, or shut it down fully recently? What version of MacOS are you using?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Mitch P.6
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Jay

Thanks for replying. I'm away at the moment so I can tell you that I'm using 10.12.6 on my laptop. I suspect it's the same in my iMac but can't be absolutely sure. My laptop probably gets fully shut down once or twice a week, the rest of the time I just close the lid and reopen it when I need to use it.

HTH

Mitch

Jay
Dropboxer
Generally, after brief research, there can be some issues with apps working normally after waking up from sleep, and it’s not just the Dropbox app which could be affected.

However a reinstall of the Dropbox desktop application would be worth trying to see if this helps!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Mitch P.6
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Jay

Thanks for that - I'll give it a try and let you know how I get on. 

Mitch

Mitch P.6
Explorer | Level 3

I think that at least part of my problem was that the fusion hard drive in my iMac was beginning to fail. I've had that fixed now and things seem a whole lot better, though I'm not using the repaired iMac as my main machine yet. 

Thanks to everyone who offered help and advise.

Mitch

Jay
Dropboxer
Glad to hear you were able to locate the issue on your end! 

Let me know if you need any further assistance in future. 🙂

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropboxer
    Mitch P.6 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?