cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with iOS 13 and Files app

Issue with iOS 13 and Files app

GS321
Collaborator | Level 9

I upgraded to the new iOS 13 and now I'm having an issue accessing my Dropbox files through the files app on my iPhone and iPad. To be clear: I'm referring to the Apple iOS files app. When I open the files app now, my Dropbox files are there but all of the PDFs are greyed out. I'm longer able to open these through the files app (which I use to open and edit my Dropbox files). Any help would be much appreciated.   

27 Replies 27

Re: Issue with iOS 13 and Files app

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hi there @GS321,

Can you just let me know if you have any issues with opening or viewing those same files within the Dropbox app? 

Also, do you have the relevant app that you use to edit the file and the Dropbox app up to date on your devices?

Let me know what you find and we'll go from there - thanks! 

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

GS321
Collaborator | Level 9

Hi @Daphne 

No - no issues opening the files in the official Dropbox app on my ipad. 

Yes - my iOS files is updated. In fact, these issues arose after upgrading to iOS 13.1. 

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hey @GS321, thanks for that info!

Unfortunately there isn't much I can suggest here since you're able to open the files from the Dropbox app. It suggests there isn't any issues with the files or the app used to edit them. In this case, I might suggest contacting Apple Support directly for assistance with opening the files via the Files app as they would be better suited to assist with this.

There may be users here who can offer some suggestions too or even a web search for the issue your having might point you in the right direction.

That being said, if you have any other questions about this then I'd be more than happy to help where I can, just give me a nudge here.

Have a great day - thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Iphone folder does not recognize pdf files

enoxia
New member | Level 2

I am having issues when accessing pdf files in dropbox through the folder app in iphone, I have everything updated, IOS 13.1.2 & dropbox version 160.2 and the files are visible but they cannot be accessed as they are frozen. PDF files accessed through icloud drive or stored in the iphone can be accessed through the iphone folder app.

Would appreciate some help.

Thanks,

Re: Iphone folder does not recognize pdf files

Jane
Dropboxer
Hey @enoxia, thanks for taking the time to drop us a line on this matter!

It’s my understanding that you’ve been facing this issue only upon trying to access your .pdf files from within the Files app; is that right? If that’s happening, can you cross-check whether you can access them as expected with the Dropbox mobile app as a quick workaround, just so as to to get going with the task at hand? 

As you mentioned that your .pdfs aren’t recognized, could you include a step-by-step description of the instructions you were following & led you to the desired outcome & what’s not working at the moment, just so as to check the results I’m seeing upon replicating? Thanks again & I’ll be awaiting your next message here! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Re: Iphone folder does not recognize pdf files

enoxia
New member | Level 2

Hello Jane,

Correct it is only when dropbox is accessed through the files app.

Dropbox is correctly synced and all files are viewable in the dropbox app, the files folder on iphone is also correctly synchronizing data from the dropbox app and all accesses have been granted.

Below is a screenshot, all files get synchronized and are viewable except for pdfs.

Thanks,

Captura 2019-10-07 a las 13.15.45jpg.jpg

GS321
Collaborator | Level 9
Thank you. I’ll follow-up with Apple. My other question though is that the Dropbox app itself appears to be acting different in the new iOS 13. When viewing PDF files, the view gets “stuck” and won’t allow me to scroll across to view the entire file. This is a new issue in iOS 13. Im hoping this is being addressed via an update as it’s a problem from directly within Dropbox.

Daphne
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me @GS321!

Perhaps you can try clearing the cache in the Dropbox app to see if that helps with previewing the files. If you're not familiar you can do this by:

1. Open the Dropbox app.
  2. Tap the "Personal" tab in the bottom bar.
  3. Tap the gear icon in the upper-left corner.
  4. Select "Clear Cache" from the options list.

Let me know if this helps - thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

GS321
Collaborator | Level 9

That does not fix it unfortunately. 

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?