cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with linking devices

Issue with linking devices

magdas
Explorer | Level 3

Dear all,

I have a Dropbox basic account and three devices that I'd like to link - an iMac, iPad and MacBook. In order to link my new iMac earlier, Dropbox asked me to unlink one as it seemed that I already have three devices linked (even though I only had two at this point). By looking closer, the list contained two version of my MacBook, one named "MacBook Pro" and another named "macbook-pro-4.eduroam.student". I'm not sure what the latter is other than it containing information of the internet network that I am logged in at my University (i.e. "eduroam"). I unlinked the latter while linking my iMac. Now back on my MacBook, I am asked again the same question, see screenshot:

Screen Shot 2019-11-29 at 3.53.49 PM.png

Does anybody know what this is? Why is my MacBook not just the "MacBook Pro" on the list but the "macbook-pro-4.eduroam.student"? I basically just want my three devices linked and I am not always on the eduroam network, only when at University.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks so much!

Best,
Murat

11 Replies 11

Re: Issue with linking devices

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hey @magdas, thanks for reaching out to us.

As a first step, could you check your Security page online and see if all the devices that you're asked to link/unlink from your account are listed? 

Could you also clarify for me if, by any chance, you have two user profiles on your computer?

Let me know what you find!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

magdas
Explorer | Level 3

Hey @Lusil ,

Thank you so so much for the prompt response! Here's a screenshot from the security page online under devices:

Screen Shot 2019-11-29 at 4.52.25 PM.png

It lists my iMac (with the same "eduroam" add on, I am at the University right now logged onto the eduroam network with both my iMac and MacBook Pro), as well as my MacBook Pro and my iPad.

However, when I actually go on my MacBook it asks me to log in again, I then get this info, see screenshot:

Screen Shot 2019-11-29 at 4.55.35 PM.png

And the when I click on "or unlink some devices: I again see this:

Screen Shot 2019-11-29 at 4.55.41 PM.png

So what I don't understand is what thew difference is between the two MacBook Pro's, I only have one single MacBook. "Eduroam" is just the internet network, not a device. When I go home, I am logged into another network.

I don't have any other user profiles on my MacBook, see screenshot:

Screen Shot 2019-11-29 at 4.58.11 PM.png

Thanks so much for helping out!

Lusil
Dropboxer

Thanks for your swift reply, @magdas!

Could you also check what the device name is currently by clicking on the Apple icon that's on the top left corner of your screen and choosing About this Mac

Keep me posted!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

magdas
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks so much @Lusil !

Here's a screenshot of the about me:

Screen Shot 2019-11-29 at 5.14.17 PM.png

Let me know if you need anything else.

Thank you!

Lusil
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me, @magdas

I've followed up with a ticket to the email address connected to your Community profile so that we can have a better look into this. 

When you have the chance, please check your inbox for my latest message and we'll take it from there. Cheers!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

magdas
Explorer | Level 3

Hi @Lusil  thanks for this!

I received the email and just hit reply and replied to your email. I tried to click on the ticket link on top but wasn't able to log in there!

Hope the repky email is sufficient?

Thanks!

Lusil
Dropboxer

No worries, @magdas! Just got back to you via email too. :slight_smile:

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

Hi @magdas,

Dropbox application reads (and use for registration) your full machines domain name. That name include your machine name (eventually modified when there is another machine in same LAN area using same name) and (possibly sometimes) concatenated name of the full router domain on the network. In all cases this name is only to identify particular device to you, not to Dropbox (i.e. improve human readable representation). Dropbox use authorization codes for identification particular device connection and the count of such connections is actually meaningful (to Dropbox), not the devices count! In Dropbox documentation, device count is denoted, but this is incorrect! That's where confusion comes from. :wink: Probably you have some old connection not unlinked properly and this connection is still in count. Solution could be:

• Unlink your device.
  • Remove all entries referring the device, using web interface.
  • Link back your device to the account.

Hope this helps.

magdas
Explorer | Level 3

Hi @Здравко ,

Thanks so much for this elaborate response - I don't understand any of it though however 😅 Not really a pro when it comes to stuff like this.

I unlinked both accounts of my MacBook Pro and then relinked it again online. Now I have three devices linked as should be. However, the devices linked in terms of both my iMac and MacBook Pro contain the newtork information, see screenshot:

Screen Shot 2019-11-29 at 7.26.50 PM.png

What will happen when I take it home and use a different internet network, will it then create a fourth device ID again?

This is all sooo confusing to me!

I need the linking to work properly as I will be using Dropbox to sync text files via a writing app across the devices and am worried that this is not gonna work.

Any help appreciated!

Thank you!

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

magdas Explorer | Level 3
    Здравко Super Collaborator | Level 20
    Lusil Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?