cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you an educator? Well we want to hear from you, so check out some tools we think might help you out here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with "Preferences" menu

Issue with "Preferences" menu

Luigi M.3
New member | Level 1

HI, our company ask to set a proxy if under company domain network. The problem is that, if dropbox app is in "connetting status" and you try to open preferences to setup the proxy address, you're not able to do that; it seems like it doesn't let you open preferences until the app is started but this is a big issue when you switch often network (and proxy setting) like us.

Anyone experienced the same problem? My app version is 3.17.32

cheers

16 Replies 16

Re: Issue with "Preferences" menu

Carl-Michael N.
New member | Level 1

I have the same problem. I can't open the preference menu while it is connecting. But it is a new thing. Has been like that for a week. Before that I had no problems changing back and forth between no proxy (at home) and proxy (in the office).

I reinstalled dropbox but it didn't help. I tried to find the preference file in the library but no luck.

I have a MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015) with yosmite 10.10.4.

Please help.

Charlie

justine w.
New member | Level 1

Exactly the same problem.

MacBook Pro with Yosemite 10.11.2 and Dropbox 3.18.1Please help!

Abdullah R.
New member | Level 1

yup, exactly the same problem. I'm on macbook air 13inch, El Capitan 10.11.4

Justin C.7
New member | Level 1

Same problem - stuck at home and almost looking forward to going into work to see if I can then open Dropbox Preferences...

MacBook Air, updated to El Capitan 10.11.4 from Yosemite ina  failed attempt to solve the problem.

justine w.
New member | Level 1

Have any of you made any progress with this problem?

I just got a response from Dropbox support that was completely unhelpful and I'm beyond frustrated.

JC A.1
New member | Level 1

Same problem described here

An answer sowemewhere ?

Or even the support did aknowledge the problem ?

If not, it's not a serious behaviour for a serious company like DropBox

Mark
Super User II

If not, it's not a serious behaviour for a serious company like DropBox

Has anybody told Dropbox yet JC? Remember this is a user supported forum. 

www.dropbox.com/support to log a ticket and http://dropbox.zendesk.com

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Justin C.7
New member | Level 1

My issue resolved itself by going back into work (the proxy setting was manual for the work server). Fine at work, now back at home and all is fine.

Only thing I did prior to return to work was upgrade DropBox to most recent version.

Would be nice to know what the bug was so it doesn't happen again...

Carl-Michael N.
New member | Level 1

I may have found a solution. It seems to have worked for me. I deleted the preference file for dropbox. But it is not located in the Preference folder. It is a hidden folder under user>your account. Select <Go to folder> under the Go menu in Finder. Fill in ~/.dropbox

This is the hidden folder under you account name. I deleted the full .dropbox folder, you have to go one level up in the hierarchy to see the folder and not only the content of it (press cmd+1 to see the finder window in column mode).

Restart the computer and dropbox if it does not start automatically and log in on your account. You will probably have to redo some settings after having done this.

Hope it helps.

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Tony L.16 New member | Level 1
    Roberto C.9 New member | Level 2
    Jonathan C.23 Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?