cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you. What do you use Dropbox for?
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Issues Installing Dropbox folder on G Raid withThunder bolt 3 External HD

Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

I have been unable to move my Dropbox folder to my G Raid 20TB external drive. I have been able to move it to other drives and to the  same G Raid with another laptop. When attempting to move I get the "can't create a dropbox folder in the requested location" message.

The drive is formatted to Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
I'm on macOS Catalina 10.15.1

The other laptop we had sucessful tests with is running the exact same settings, so we know that the drive is working fine. Seems very strange that it will not work on my station and will on our other one.

I have read this guide https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/desktop/move-dropbox-folder 

I have also made sure to try to move the folder while no other connected apps/files/syncs are running.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

1 Reply 1
Highlighted

Re: Issues Installing Dropbox folder on G Raid withThunder bolt 3 External HD

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @Pipehouseltd, thanks for posting on the Community for advice! 

As you mentioned that you’re seeing an error message reading that the target location isn’t supported, it would be a great idea to start off checking our system requirements

If you're moving your Dropbox folder, and the selected destination is on removable media, it’s possible that you may not be able to complete the action. If so, then it would be best to store Dropbox on an internal drive using Smart Sync/Selective Sync instead. 

Please let me know how you get on with these suggestions & we’ll go from there. Thanks! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?