cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's driving me nuts! How do I fix computer backup files?

It's driving me nuts! How do I fix computer backup files?

JudyMac11
Explorer | Level 3

I've used Dropbox for years with absolutely no issues. Now, I have a new laptop and Dropbox seems to think the whole **bleep** laptop belongs to it. I've uninstalled once, and reinstalled paying real close attention. I unchecked every box for backing up files, documents and my PC itself. I only ever use dropbox to upload pictures fro my phone, then access them through my pc or laptop. That's it.

Now every file name starts with Dropbox/. It's diving me crazy! I DO NOT need or want Dropbox taking over my laptop. I never upload documents to any cloud storage and am not about to start now. 
Do I have to give up on Dropbox and find another way to move photos around between my phone and laptop?

Thanks

8 Replies 8

Re: It's driving me nuts!

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hey @JudyMac11, thanks for checking in with us, and I'm sorry to hear about your frustration. 

If you've made sure that computer backup is turned off, could you let me know if you've already tried moving the files back to their original locations? 

Let me know how it goes, cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

JudyMac11
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Lusil.

I made sure that was all unchecked or turned off when I installed the second time. Dropbox is still "in charge" of every file on my computer. Mind you, I somehow lost a pile when I tried to get the first install to stop taking over. I don't get it, Dropbox never, ever behaved like this in all the years I've been using it. I always found it more trustworthy than iCloud. Now it seems to be just as bad.

sachmet
New member | Level 2

I understand. One of my students has a same problem. And... after she uninstal dropbox app from pc, she´s not able to use her files at all now. little cross icon is next to the every file and it says its corrupted.

Lusil
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me, @JudyMac11

I'm sorry to hear about your frustration and I do understand how important it is for you.

Since you've turned the feature off, have you been able to move the files back? 

As for the files you can't find, are you able to locate them in your events page or deleted files tab?

Also, @sachmet, thanks for joining us on this thread. 

Has the user you mention reinstalled their desktop app and turned computer backup off? 

Keep me posted, everyone!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

JudyMac11
Explorer | Level 3
The thing is, every file path on my laptop starts with dropbox/ so there's really no where to move files except to a flash drive. And I'm assuming I'd be able to move files to a flash drive, I haven't actually tried it as I have no desire to have to use a flash drive all the time.
I've had that same experience as the other person here. Remove dropbox and files can't be located, or double clicking on one to open results in it not being found.

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hey there @JudyMac11.

You should still be able to see other locations on your computer, such as Documents and Download etc. The folder within Dropbox won't have replaced these system folders.

If you're having trouble locating these, can you let me know if you've tried doing a search through the File Explorer for one of those folder names?

Also, since you mentioned missing some files, can you let me know if you have "show hidden files" enabled on your computer?

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

JudyMac11
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Daphne,

I can see the folders fine. There are no hidden folders or files. I'm including photos I took to show what's going on.

Something of note - when I go to preferences the folder backup options are always checked. When I uncheck them the only recourse remaining to me is "Not Now". "Set Up" becomes ghosted so it seems that I cannot save these changes (unchecked boxes).

Ok, I have to reduce the file sizes before I can upload them. Sorry.

The one looks like this: 

System Folder

C:\Users\jmacl\Dropbox|My PC (Laptop-KQQFDS and whatever comes after that isn't in the photo I took.

The main thing is that Dropbox in the path. It's in every path on this laptop! Now, there's not much on the laptop as it's new to me. However, with the first Dropbox installation I could not insteal MS Office 2010 or another program I tried to install related to my quilting hobby. Couldn't install anything because both installs tried to find a file or whatever using a path created by or including Dropbox. I had to totally uninstall and remove Dropbox from the laptop before I could proceed to instal the two programs.

Daphne
Dropboxer

I wasn't able to see any screenshots in your reply @JudyMac11, but you did provide some great info.

Since the backup is indeed fully disabled within Dropbox, we can reset the folder paths for the Downloads, Documents and Desktop folders manually.

This would have been done automatically when disabling the backup through the app settings, but not to worry.

From your File Explorer, please follow the below steps:

1. Navigate to the system Downloads/Documents/Desktop folders (not the folders in Dropbox).
  2. Right click the folder.
  3. Choose "Properties".
  4. Go to the "Location" tab.
  5. Choose to reset the default folder location.

This should free up the folders, so that you can move any of the files in the Dropbox backup folder "My PC" back to the original locations.

Let me know if this helps!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Daphne Dropboxer
    JudyMac11 Explorer | Level 3
    Lusil Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?