cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It takes 90 seconds to change a folder with Windows Explorer when Dropbox is installed

It takes 90 seconds to change a folder with Windows Explorer when Dropbox is installed

compp
Helpful | Level 6

Hi all,

I am having a weird issue. It takes a lot of time (timed about 1.5 minutes) to change a folder in Windows Explorer, if the folder is a subfolder of 

C:\Users\<USER>\Dropbox\

I am using Dropbox v. 114.4.426, Windows 10 20H2 (Build 19042.746).

The problem is very repeatable.

• It does not go away, if I Quit the dropbox app.
  • It does not go away, if I disable the Dropbox (or all) Shell Extensions with ShellExView

It does only go away if I completely install the Dropbox application from Windows. It appears again, not after Dropbox is installed, but after I login to Dropbox. 

There is no problem if Folders are accessed with Powershell or cmd, or any other app like VS Code. Also, there is no problem to open a folder once for example directly from Powershell using

ii .

while being located at for example

C:\Users\<USER>\Dropbox\Some\Subfolder

The problem exists only if I try to change the folder with Windows Explorer (up or down) while located under 

C:\Users\<USER>\Dropbox\

I have tried to reinstall the Dropbox, using the advanced reinstall guide, and it did not help. I also have updated Windows and all the possible drivers. The only thing I could think that could have caused this is ShellExView, which I used previously to disable (also) Dropbox Shell Extensions for a while. 

Any pointers on how to debug / solve the problem are appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: It takes 90 seconds to change a folder with Windows Explorer when Dropbox is installed

compp
Helpful | Level 6

I think I found the reason!

I used the Sysinternals ProcessMonitor to record the file system activity while trying to change a folder. I saw many calls to iCloudDrive.exe. Seems that somehow iCloudDrive.exe interferes with Dropbox. I don't know if this is a problem of iCloud or Dropbox, but removing either one will help. I removed iCloud (from Microsoft Store), and the problems are gone.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Re: It takes 90 seconds to change a folder with Windows Explorer when Dropbox is installed

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hi there @compp, thanks for checking in with us. 

Out of curiosity, how many files do you have in your Dropbox folder?

Could you also make sure that you don't have any pending OS updates?

Check it out and let me know what you find, cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

compp
Helpful | Level 6

Hi @Lusil,

Thanks for asking. Do you want to know the cumulative sum of number of files under 

C.\Users\<USER>\Dropbox\

and all of it's subfolders?

I tried before and after updating all Windows updates and all the driver updates offered by HP,  with no change to the situation. My current workaround is to use command line to access any files or folders inside the Dropbox root folder.

compp
Helpful | Level 6

@Lusil, here are the number of files and subfolders

PS C:\Users\<USER>\Dropbox> (Get-ChildItem -Recurse -File | Measure-Object).Count
PS C:\Users\<USER>\Dropbox> (Get-ChildItem -Recurse -Directory | Measure-Object).Count

compp
Helpful | Level 6

I think I found the reason!

I used the Sysinternals ProcessMonitor to record the file system activity while trying to change a folder. I saw many calls to iCloudDrive.exe. Seems that somehow iCloudDrive.exe interferes with Dropbox. I don't know if this is a problem of iCloud or Dropbox, but removing either one will help. I removed iCloud (from Microsoft Store), and the problems are gone.

View solution in original post

Poll
How do you get refocussed while working from home? Do you find any of these options keep you from getting distracted?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?