cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laptop (Windows 10) to Desktop (Windows 8) Syncing great, but to different locations on each

Laptop (Windows 10) to Desktop (Windows 8) Syncing great, but to different locations on each

Norm-N1SJK
New member | Level 2

I'm using my "Downloads" folder on each computer and both sync to Drop Box fine.

But neither computer shows the sync'd files on the other, because they are syncing

to different locations on each computer.

How on earth can I get them to sync to the same folder on each computer instead of

creating duplicate "Downloads" folders on each?

Please help!

3 Replies 3

Re: Laptop (Windows 10) to Desktop (Windows 8) Syncing great, but to different locations on each

Lori
Dropboxer
I hope this Thursday is going amazing for you @Norm-N1SJK

I believe you're referring on our Computer Backup feature, right?

You should be seeing two "My PC" folders inside your Dropbox folder, on each computer. And in each respective folder, you would find the Documents, Downloads, and Desktop of each device. 

Are you trying to have the two separate Downloads folders sync as one folder only?

Keep me posted!

Lori
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: Laptop (Windows 10) to Desktop (Windows 8) Syncing great, but to different locations on each

Norm-N1SJK
New member | Level 2

"Are you trying to have the two separate Downloads folders sync as one folder only?"

Bingo!

I am a tractor trailer driver who's on the road most of the time. In my truck I have a laptop stand and I sit on the edge of my bunk to work on files within my "Downloads" folder. When I get home I prefer to sit at my desktop computer in a real office chair and work

on the same files within my "Downloads" folder. Being an Owner Operator truck driver it is a business. I need both computers to have the exact same files on each to work seemlessly from either computer. My Downloads folder from my laptop shows up elsewhere on my home computer and vice versa with the Downloads folder from the Home computer onto my laptop. Argh! How do I get both to act as one? Do you know how I can achieve this lofty goal?

Thanks,

Norm

Lori
Dropboxer

Hey Norm, wishing you a wonderful Monday! 

You should be able to see the laptop's Computer backup on the desktop computer, and vice versa.

However, "merging" the two Downloads, Documents, and Desktops into one isn't possible right now @Norm-N1SJK

Give me a nudge if you have any other questions.

Lori
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lori Dropboxer
    Norm-N1SJK New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?