cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to make our Community work for you and we need your help. Take our short survey!
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Last update is causing my Windows 10 File Explorer to hang

Highlighted

Last update is causing my Windows 10 File Explorer to hang

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

this is now happening to my Windows 10 computer since upgrading to DropBox v87.4.138.  How can I fix it?

43 Replies 43
Highlighted

Re: Latest Dropbox update is causing Windows 10 File Explorer to hang

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi there @SnaggoTech, thanks for checking in with us!

As a first step, could you please let me know if you've tried forcing File Explorer to refresh by restarting your computer?

Be sure to save any files that you have open and close any apps before rebooting. 

Let me know if this helps!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Hi @Lusil,

I am having the same problem which persists after multiple restarts and an advanced uninstall.

Is there anything else I can try or a way to downgrade that won't automatically upgrade again?

Thanks

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @Demps, thanks for nudging us on this thread and sorry to hear that you're also having trouble with this. 

Hmm. Could you confirm for me if you get the same experience after temporarily disabling your antivirus or security software? 

Could you also check what happens if you temporarily quit the Dropbox desktop app?

To stop the desktop app from running:

1. Make sure that you save and quit all programs that access files in the Dropbox folder.
  2. Click on the Dropbox icon next to your computer's clock.
  3. Select your avatar.
  4. Go to "Quit Dropbox" from the drop-down menu. 

Let me know how it goes!

Lusil

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Quiting the Dropbox application and disabling Windows 10 Real-time protection in Security settings make no difference.

All folders on PC can be accessed without issue other than the Dropbox folder, so my guess would be an issue with the virtual file system code used for Smart Sync (even though that is disabled).

Only noticed the issue last week but didn't use the PC for 2 weeks before that so can't be sure was caused by an application update but it seems likely.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for trying that out for me, @Demps

If the issue persists when Dropbox is completely closed, this suggests that the cause is related to something outside of the Dropbox app. 

Nonetheless, I want to try to help you out a bit more. For this reason, if you don't want to use the Smart Sync function at all, could you make sure that you've opted out and see if there is a change in behavior? 

You can check out the steps to do this here

Let me know what you find!

Lusil

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

I disabed that option, rebooted, signed in again and now no longer have the Smart Sync option but still freezes Exporer trying to navigate Dropbox folders.

I then uninstalled the application, rebooted again and still have delays/hangs trying to navigate to Dropbox sub-folders which doesn't make much sense, but all other folders outside of the Dropbox folder are instantly accesible so not sure what else to try now!

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hmm.  Could you also make sure that you're running the stable version of the desktop app by hovering over your Dropbox icon that's next to your computer's clock? 

If you find that you’re on a beta build (recognized by xx.3.xx), it means that you have opted in to Early Releases in your online account settings. In this case: 

1. Log in to the website.
  2. Click on your picture/avatar at the top right corner of the page.
  3. Go to Settings.
  4. From the General tab, scroll down to the section titled Preferences.
  5. Uncheck the box next to Include me in early releases if it is checked.
  6. Download and install the latest stable version of the desktop app (currently on 87.4.138).

If you're still having trouble, I can send you a ticket to the email address connected to your Community profile so that we can have a better look into it. 

Let me know how it goes, @Demps!

Lusil

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Did this ever get resolved?  Because I am having the same issue.  I have re-started my computer multiple times, temporarily disabled my antivirus and security software, quit dropbox, and checked my version of Dropbox I am running.  And I am on v88.4.172.

File Explorer on Windows 10 works fine, until I double-click on the Dropbox folder, and then it hangs for approximately five minutes.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @DesertRocker, thanks for nudging us on this thread and for checking all these initial troubleshooting steps - awesome work!

I've followed up with a ticket to the email address associated with your Community profile so as to have more in-depth look on this.

Please check your inbox for my latest message and we'll take it from there. Cheers!

Lusil

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?