cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Limited to 3 devices but i can only add 1?

Limited to 3 devices but i can only add 1?

New member | Level 2

I installed dropbox on my work phone, earlier i had free version installed on my personal phone and desktop so that made 2 devices in total.

After installing the app and logging in on the work phone the app said this plan supports now up to 3 devices. Still i had to unlink all previous devices i had used in order to get the app working on current device. So now i have the app working on only 1 device.

Cant link my computer (sign in with google doesnt work somehow but thats ok i can use dropbox.com on desktop) and when trying to add my personal phone back to device list it says same thing as my work phone; i have to unlink all previous devices.

Anyone having same problems? I have the free version of dropbox.

Thanks.

10 Replies 10

Re: Limited to 3 devices but i can only add 1?

Dropboxer
Hey there @Limolzi,

Can you just double check your Security page online and let me know if you see only one device connected there currently? Also, please check the email address of the account you’re signed into on the web and on your mobile device to ensure they’re the same.

Let me know what you find - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Super Collaborator | Level 20

Hi @Limolzi,

I have (probably) similar experience. In my case: 1 phone and 2 laptops (one of the laptops is actively used). So, I have 3 devices, but in security page are noted 6 devices! Actively used laptop appear 4 times. I added all devices exactly one time. This seems to be some bug! Just remove any repeatable device, if any.

Good luck!

Super User II

@Здравко wrote:

I added all devices exactly one time. This seems to be some bug!

Likely not a bug. If you've ever completely uninstalled/reinstalled, or rebuilt your computer and reinstalled Dropbox, it will see it as a new device. Think of it more like three installations, rather than devices. It doesn't recognize a device that you've added previously in those circumstances. Every rebuild of my system (and I rebuild about every six months) I get a duplicate on the Security page.

@Rich, Yes, You are absolutely right, but there are no any of the noted or any similar conditions!!! So there is some kind of bug, definitely. Other people report similar experiences also.

@Rich, Even more: As You correctly cite me: "I added all devices exactly one time."!!! If any of the conditions You suppose happens, then a new addition will be need!!!

Helpful | Level 5
Yes same issue, I have 2 attached, but cant add a third, i think I'll be going one drive, and forget dropbox altogether

Dropboxer

Hey @JayKay123,

Can you let me know how many devices are showing as connected on your Security page here?

Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Helpful | Level 5
3 devices, I already posted that I fixed this

Helpful | Level 5
Looks like my fix didn't go into the thread.
I removed 2 old phones so it was only 2 devices. And would let me add my mobile.

However when I looked on the Tab not phone that had another old old phone, i removed that and added the tab again and it worked.

So there was a ghost device that wasn't showing on my phone, but did on the tablet, once this old ghost was removed it worked straight away.

I hope this helps other people with issues like this i.e. check multiple devices to see what's connected.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?