cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Limiting/stopping syncing on certain networks

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Hi!

I spend a fair amount of time where I'm on a cellular data internet connection, but it's still done via WiFi. I have on occasion put huge dents in the data usage caps on those with various background-syncing apps, Dropbox being one of them.

Is it possible to restrict Dropbox from syncing when I am on certain WiFi networks (it's 2-3 SSID's that I can manually specify)?
The feature that would solve all this for me would be a settings option for "don't sync stuff when on these networks", alternatively "only sync when on wired or any of these networks".

14 Replies 14
Highlighted

Re: Limiting/stopping syncing on certain networks

Super User II
Super User II
Is it possible to restrict Dropbox from syncing when I am on certain WiFi networks

Dropbox is not capable of that.

Highlighted

Possible to Limit Sync to specific wifi networks? Sync on HotSpot is killing my data plan

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

I use dropbox across all of my devices and prefer them to be synced. However, as I travel frequently for work, Dropbox will sync whenever new files are added to a shared folder or if I update a file on another device and when this is done while I'm using my HotSpot via my cell phone (as I do frequently) it eats up data like crazy. When I remember I will pause the sync when I'm on the HotSpot but I don't always remember. Is it possible to restrict sync to specific wifi networks?

Highlighted

Re: Possible to Limit Sync to specific wifi networks? Sync on HotSpot is killing my data plan

Super User II
Super User II
 Is it possible to restrict sync to specific wifi networks?

No, it isn't, at least not with Dropbox. There may be some third-party utility that can limit programs to a specific network, but you'd have to look elsewhere for that.

Highlighted

Re: Possible to Limit Sync to specific wifi networks? Sync on HotSpot is killing my data plan

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

That would be very great to be able to exclude some WIFI hotspots.

Or Rich R., do you know any external application which could do this?

Like I wrote somewhere else in that forum, more and more car brands do provide WIFI inCar through rSAP. As a result, the data plan is getting nearly instantly depleted....

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

I can set those networks as an "metered connection," if dropbox could simply recognize not to sync when on such a connection. Might be an answer concerned with a windows OS setting, but since it is directly related to this file management system I hoped someone here might could answer.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Please add this capability.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

I would like this feature also: I'm working quite often in coffee shops and I don't want to use their bandwidth to backup big files.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

I also would find this a useful feature. Especially when tethering.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

I  really need this feature.  Wifi does not mean unlimited data.  Why not allow us to choose which wifi networks are ok for syncing?  Whenever I forget to shut off syncing at home I get killed by my data usage. 

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?