cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linking Laptop to desktop on Windows 11

Linking Laptop to desktop on Windows 11

KenUSMC
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

My first time on the forum so I hope I'm doing this correctly. I've searched this forum but could not find the exact info I need. I have been using Dropbox for a long time and have always had complete access to my desktop Dropbox from my laptop. My desktop has been upgraded to Windows 11 and bought a new laptop with Windows 11 on it. All of my files were preserved during the Windows upgrade on my desktop. Now I would like to have complete access to my desktop Dropbox from my laptop. I have the Dropbox app installed on my desktop. When I type in "Dropbox.com" on my laptop, all my desktop Dropbox files appear on my laptop screen. However I can't find a way to pin the desktop Dropbox to my Laptop Quick Access so I can use individual files in my laptop applications.

In summary, if I have Dropbox set up on my desktop and I then buy a laptop, how do I make all my desktop Dropbox files available on my laptop?

I've been working on this for 3 days so any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

KenUSMC
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Problem solved! I tried numerous times to simply set up the dropbox app on my laptop. Each time I ended up with an offer to upgrade to dropbox plus because it would allow more than 3 devices. I finally discovered that with all my attempts I somehow already added two devices. I deleted both of them and signed in with my desktop dropbox name and password. Dropbox then installed as expected. Most importantly, my desktop dropbox folders are all available on my laptop quick access list for use by any of my applications on my laptop.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @KenUSMC, thanks for posting on the Community!

Could you clarify if the Dropbox desktop application is running on your machine? Do you see it in the system tray near the clock?

Do you see the Dropbox folder appearing in Explorer? 

Any other info or screenshots would be helpful!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

KenUSMC
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

On my desktop I do have a Dropbox icon in the lower right corner near the clock. When I click on it, it says my dropbox is up to date.

I do have the dropbox icon visible when I display Explorer.

I do NOT have dropbox app loaded on my laptop if that helps.

KenUSMC
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Problem solved! I tried numerous times to simply set up the dropbox app on my laptop. Each time I ended up with an offer to upgrade to dropbox plus because it would allow more than 3 devices. I finally discovered that with all my attempts I somehow already added two devices. I deleted both of them and signed in with my desktop dropbox name and password. Dropbox then installed as expected. Most importantly, my desktop dropbox folders are all available on my laptop quick access list for use by any of my applications on my laptop.

Gerson2
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

very good 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Gerson2 New member | Level 2
    KenUSMC Helpful | Level 6
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?