cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux CLI: what does filestatus unwatched mean?

Linux CLI: what does filestatus unwatched mean?

sgeorge
Explorer | Level 4

I am using a dropbox headless install as described here: https://www.dropbox.com/en_GB/install-linux

It is installed and running ok as far as I can tell. My files are staying in sync.

I am using the dropbox.py CLI to check the file status. I was expecting to see the sync status, but instead, every file I check, it says "unwatched". However, synchronisation is working ok as far as I can see.
The meaning of the output of this command does not seem to be documented.

For example:
$ /usr/local/bin/dropbox.py filestatus ~/Dropbox/testfile.xyz
/dropbox/testfile.xyz: unwatched

The CLI documentation does not go into the possible outputs of filestatus and what it means:

https://www.dropbox.com/help/desktop-web/linux-commands

10 Replies 10

Re: Linux CLI: what does filestatus unwatched mean?

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hi there @sgeorge!

Could you please send me a screenshot of what you’re seeing and where exactly, so as to have a better understanding (omitting personal info)? Are you seeing any errors as well?

Thanks in advance! :grinning:

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

sgeorge
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Lusil,

I am working in a terminal so cut and paste is equivalent to a screen shot.

Here is some more - let me know what you would like to see.

$ ls -l ~/.dropbox-dist/
total 20
drwxr-xr-x. 6 xxx dropbox 12288 Nov 6 12:55 dropbox-lnx.x86_64-61.4.95
-rwxr-xr-x. 1 xxx dropbox 100 Nov 6 12:55 dropboxd
$ cd ~/Dropbox
$ /usr/local/bin/dropbox.py status
Up to date
$ /usr/local/bin/dropbox.py filestatus
.dropbox: unwatched
.dropbox.cache: unwatched
MyDirectory: unwatched
blah.txt: unwatched
Document.docx: unwatched

(It lists all my dirs and files under ~/Dropbox but I removed most of them for brevity and privacy.)

When I modify a file and check with my web browser I see the file is modified so syncing must be working. 

Lusil
Dropboxer
Thanks for your swift response, @sgeorge, and for removing the personal info that would’ve been included - awesome work! 

Hmm. :thinking: Have you by any chance tried a reboot of your device? Maybe that will do the trick. 

If not, we’d have to move this discussion to email due to account-specific info that’ll be required in order to troubleshoot. In this case, I can contact you to your email address that’s associated with your Forum profile. 

Let me know how it goes!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

sgeorge
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Lusil,

my device was rebooted yesterday and this issue persisted. 

I really just want some better documentation on the output of the filestatus command - maybe everything is ok? It looks odd though.

You are welcome to contact me via email to follow up further if you think that is best.

Thanks,

Simon

Lusil
Dropboxer
Thanks for confirming this for me, Simon. 

I’ve gone ahead and sent you an email to the email address connected to your Forum profile so as to further investigate. At your convenience, please check your inbox for my latest message. 

I look forward to hearing back from you! :grinning:

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

sgeorge
Explorer | Level 4

I didn't receive an email. Can you tell me how to check which email address is associated with my forum profile? I've been digging around and I couldn't find it.

Lusil
Dropboxer
Sorry to hear that, @sgeorge

To find the email address associated with your Forum profile, you can go to the General. You can get there by clicking on the Dropbox logo that you see on the top left corner of your screen, navigating to the avatar that’s on the top right hand-side of your screen, and going to Settings

If you still don’t see my latest message in your inbox, could you please check your spam folder?

Thanks in advance! 

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

sgeorge
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks. I have two linked accounts: personal and work. I don't have access to a spam folder on my work account so if you could use the personal one that might be better, thanks. I still have no message at the moment. 

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hey @sgeorge, for privacy and security purposes, I’m only able to directly contact you at the email address that is associated with your Forum profile. 

I contacted you once again to the email address connected with your profile on the Forum. For this reason, could you please check if you’ve added the following domains to be white listed so as to ensure that they’re not blocked? 

If you’re still having trouble with this, could you please try navigating to our support system by visiting dropbox.zendesk.com with the email address in question and see if you can view it from there? 

Keep me posted!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Poll
How do you get refocussed while working from home? Do you find any of these options keep you from getting distracted?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?