cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to make our Community work for you and we need your help. Take our short survey!
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux Desktop Client always reporting old version and shutting down

Linux Desktop Client always reporting old version and shutting down

Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

Running linux, a RHEL derivative so using the fedora RPM to install, have always installed using the rpm upgrade settings.  On launching the dropbox client it always reports I am using an older version and need to update. I have installed the version that the link sends me to and this still reports its and older version.  The running version is 3.10.9, which was installed from :-

nautilus-dropbox-2015.10.28-1.fedora.x86_64.rpm

I have manually removed older versions from /usr/share/dropbox as the RPM now installed to /usr/share/nautilus/dropbox.

Could the install be fixed to correctly upgrade and can someone explain why its reporting an older version when its running the latest download from the web site ?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Linux Desktop Client always reporting old version and shutting down

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

I have solved the problem!!!

Just rename “.dropbox” and “.dropbox.dist” in your home directory. I also removed the dropbox package and installed it again, but I don't think it's necessary. Then, type "dropbox start"; the program will complain and ask you to type “dropbox start -i”. Do it, it will download the private part of the program and that's all.

The source of the problem were were the old “.dropbox” and “.dropbox.dist”.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

I get exactly the same problem with Ubuntu 64 bits 14.04. I have tried to download the last version on Dropbox site after removal of the installed version.

This problem has to be fixed quickly.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

I am having the same problem as well.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

The same problem

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

I have solved the problem!!!

Just rename “.dropbox” and “.dropbox.dist” in your home directory. I also removed the dropbox package and installed it again, but I don't think it's necessary. Then, type "dropbox start"; the program will complain and ask you to type “dropbox start -i”. Do it, it will download the private part of the program and that's all.

The source of the problem were were the old “.dropbox” and “.dropbox.dist”.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Made an account to say thanks!  I deleted these two folders and reinstalled and it worked great.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?