cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux Desktop Client always reporting old version and shutting down

Linux Desktop Client always reporting old version and shutting down

Richie R.
Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

Running linux, a RHEL derivative so using the fedora RPM to install, have always installed using the rpm upgrade settings.  On launching the dropbox client it always reports I am using an older version and need to update. I have installed the version that the link sends me to and this still reports its and older version.  The running version is 3.10.9, which was installed from :-

nautilus-dropbox-2015.10.28-1.fedora.x86_64.rpm

I have manually removed older versions from /usr/share/dropbox as the RPM now installed to /usr/share/nautilus/dropbox.

Could the install be fixed to correctly upgrade and can someone explain why its reporting an older version when its running the latest download from the web site ?

Thanks 🙂

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Linux Desktop Client always reporting old version and shutting down

Ignacio E.1
New member | Level 1

I have solved the problem!!!

Just rename “.dropbox” and “.dropbox.dist” in your home directory. I also removed the dropbox package and installed it again, but I don't think it's necessary. Then, type "dropbox start"; the program will complain and ask you to type “dropbox start -i”. Do it, it will download the private part of the program and that's all.

The source of the problem were were the old “.dropbox” and “.dropbox.dist”.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Philippe c.2
Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

I get exactly the same problem with Ubuntu 64 bits 14.04. I have tried to download the last version on Dropbox site after removal of the installed version.

This problem has to be fixed quickly.

Brian S.56
New member | Level 1

I am having the same problem as well.

Ignacio E.1
New member | Level 1

The same problem

Ignacio E.1
New member | Level 1

I have solved the problem!!!

Just rename “.dropbox” and “.dropbox.dist” in your home directory. I also removed the dropbox package and installed it again, but I don't think it's necessary. Then, type "dropbox start"; the program will complain and ask you to type “dropbox start -i”. Do it, it will download the private part of the program and that's all.

The source of the problem were were the old “.dropbox” and “.dropbox.dist”.

humanclock
New member | Level 2

Made an account to say thanks!  I deleted these two folders and reinstalled and it worked great.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

humanclock New member | Level 2
    Ignacio E.1 New member | Level 1
    Brian S.56 New member | Level 1
    Philippe c.2 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?