cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux Headless Client Stuck "Upgrading Dropbox"

Linux Headless Client Stuck "Upgrading Dropbox"

rnbwpnt
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Debian 10

Dropbox daemon version: 119.4.1772
Dropbox command-line interface version: 2020.03.04

dropbox.py status reports "Upgrading Dropbox..." forever.

Sync still works.

Other headless installs I have report daemon v120.3.4579.

Googling on this issue seems to indicate that I need to install stuff like libatomic.

The issue is that I do not have, and can not get, root on this box. How can I resolve this stupidity without root? I installed the daemon last night, so apparently nobody bothers to update the download page with the latest version.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

camaulay
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I just ran into this issue. It seems that the headless linux can detect when there is an update available for the dropbox daemon but cannot install it and so it hangs, blocking all syncing.

Assuming you have installed the headless client following the instructions @ https://www.dropbox.com/install-linux

the solution that worked for me was to

1. Stop the dropbox daemon
    ~/dropbox.py stop
  2. Install the latest dropbox as per https://www.dropbox.com/install-linux
    cd ~ && wget -O - "https://www.dropbox.com/download?plat=lnx.x86_64" | tar xzf -
  3. Start the dropbox daemon
    ~/dropbox.py start

Seems to be working for me now.

We'll likely have to do this every time there is a daemon update.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

@rnbwpnt wrote:

Googling on this issue seems to indicate that I need to install stuff like libatomic.

Hi @rnbwpnt,

I don't know what exactly you have been "googling", but if the issue was related to libatomic1 (by the way package name ends with 1 at the end) then you will not receive anything else but fault on launch. The only result from the control script in such a situation would represent inability for connection to daemon. So,... that's definitely not the issue for you. 🙂 The same is valid about every other might missing library.

@rnbwpnt wrote:

Dropbox daemon version: 119.4.1772

Other headless installs I have report daemon v120.3.4579.

If both machines you are referring to, have linked to the same Dropbox account, seems you have joined in beta program of Dropbox! Are you made this unintentionally or because misunderstanding what are you accepting. To make things clear you are accepted to be Dropbox application tester! Version with second number 3 is beta development one. If you want get out of this, take a look on your account setting and make sure "Early releases" there is turn off. After that, make sure you have the latest stable build on both places (and other, if any). 😉 Just run following:

dropbox stop
rm -rf ~/.dropbox-dist
dropbox start -i

If you haven't removed the control script extension, keep it in the above commands too. Your current settings and data won't be affected in any way. If you want to relink applications anew, add to removed folders "~/.dropbox" (i.e. the second command would be "rm -rf ~/.dropbox-dist ~/.dropbox"). In such a situation your settings will be lost and fall back to the default. If on some place you want to wipe out everything (i.e. including the local data), just add "~/Dropbox" folder too there.

Hope this gives direction.

rnbwpnt
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

This doesn't address my issue. I'm fine with being in the beta program and I have no particular desire to opt back out.

The issue is that dropbox.py status continually indicates "Upgrading Dropbox..."

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

@rnbwpnt wrote:

This doesn't address my issue. I'm fine with being in the beta program...

🤷 Ok, Stay within beta program; that's your choice.

If you think forcing install to particular version (either stable or beta - downgrade or upgrade) doesn't address your issue,... without comments.

By the way, the message you are observing comes from the daemon, not from the control script, as seems you think! The script behaves like a proxy, nothing more. The only time it actually do something is on find out and install application' distribution, when such is missing. 😉 You can do the same by hands of course. In the same context, why have you installed by hands non beta version formerly? 🧐🤔🤷

Good luck.

camaulay
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I just ran into this issue. It seems that the headless linux can detect when there is an update available for the dropbox daemon but cannot install it and so it hangs, blocking all syncing.

Assuming you have installed the headless client following the instructions @ https://www.dropbox.com/install-linux

the solution that worked for me was to

1. Stop the dropbox daemon
    ~/dropbox.py stop
  2. Install the latest dropbox as per https://www.dropbox.com/install-linux
    cd ~ && wget -O - "https://www.dropbox.com/download?plat=lnx.x86_64" | tar xzf -
  3. Start the dropbox daemon
    ~/dropbox.py start

Seems to be working for me now.

We'll likely have to do this every time there is a daemon update.

sydsydsyd
Explorer | Level 4

Is this still the only solution?

Be good if there was either an "auto update" or an "ignore update" so the daemon doesn't hang/crash

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

sydsydsyd Explorer | Level 4
    camaulay Explorer | Level 4
    Здравко Legendary | Level 20
    rnbwpnt Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?