cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Linux Mint 20 : DropBox no longer syncing despite syncing icon!

Linux Mint 20 : DropBox no longer syncing despite syncing icon!

Iplicjian
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Hello all. I have followed the suggestions made by others but still I am not syncing. I upgraded to Linux Mint 20 yesterday and everything works as it should, except DropBox; a key app for me. I note that the LM version (which I re-downloaded yesterday in an attempt to solve this) is version 107.4.443 whereas the MacOS version is 108.4.453. Thsi information may have nothing to do with the problem but I mention it for information. 

Please help 🙂 

Thanks

John

33 Replies 33

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

If you have lost in the results, post them here. For example: how many files you have in your Dropbox folder and what's your current limitation? Are some errors coming from other commands I have mentioned? After leaving some time to the application, is there some progress and what is the status result comes from the last command?

PS: Try reset current daemon install using following:

dropbox stop
rm -rf ~/.dropbox-dist
dropbox start -i

The last is just to force up upgrade to latest stable version/release.

Iplicjian
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Results :

user@AsusA54C:~$ sudo chown -R "user" ./Dropbox
user@AsusA54C:~$ sudo chattr -R -i "user" ./Dropbox
chattr: No such file or directory while trying to stat user
chattr: Operation not supported while reading flags on ./Dropbox/ONLINE ONLY (cloud storage)/Dec 2014 to Jan 2015.photolibrary/Database/BigBlobs.apdb
chattr: Operation not supported while reading flags on ./Dropbox/ONLINE ONLY (cloud storage)/Dec 2014 to Jan 2015.photolibrary/Database/ImageProxies.apdb
chattr: Operation not supported while reading flags on ./Dropbox/ONLINE ONLY (cloud storage)/Dec 2014 to Jan 2015.photolibrary/Database/Properties.apdb
chattr: Operation not supported while reading flags on ./Dropbox/ONLINE ONLY (cloud storage)/Dec 2014 to Jan 2015.photolibrary/Database/Faces.db
chattr: Operation not supported while reading flags on ./Dropbox/ONLINE ONLY (cloud storage)/Dec 2014 to Jan 2015.photolibrary/Database/History.apdb
chattr: Operation not supported while reading flags on ./Dropbox/ONLINE ONLY (cloud storage)/Dec 2014 to Jan 2015.photolibrary/Database/Library.apdb
user@AsusA54C:~$ chmod -R u+rw ~/Dropbox
user@AsusA54C:~$  

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

@Iplicjian wrote:

Results :

user@AsusA54C:~$ sudo chattr -R -i "user" ./Dropbox
chattr: No such file or directory while trying to stat user
chattr: Operation not supported while reading flags on ./Dropbox/ONLINE ONLY (cloud storage)/Dec 2014 to Jan 2015.photolibrary/Database/BigBlobs.apdb

Hi @Iplicjian,

Pay more attention when editing command, not to put there some errors! 😉 Who advise you type the above command in exactly such a way?! Seems you haven't moved your Dropbox folder and no need any modifications on the commands, that I have posted already.

Have you updated your application to the latest stable release (109.4.517 at this post moment)? What's the result from:

dropbox version

Did you try to trace any strange statuses? According to the errors, you just posted, seems there are some issues in the database folder. What is the following commands results:

cd ~/Dropbox/ONLINE\ ONLY\ \(cloud\ storage\)/Dec\ 2014\ to\ Jan\ 2015.photolibrary/Database/
ls -al
dropbox filestatus

🤔

Hope the above results will give helpful directions.

Iplicjian
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

So, aftre all of that, we are back to square one. The Doropbox icon is in the system tray showing Syncing 24x7 with the "recently chnaged files" being those of nearly three weeks ago. 

PLEASE Dropbox tech Support. Give me step by step instructions on what I need to do to get Dropbox working again under Linut 20.

I hope we can make one more effort to sort this.

Thanks in anticipation again

John (SW France) 

Iplicjian
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Thank you. The latest results from the command line are :

user@AsusA54C:~$ cd ~/Dropbox/ONLINE\ ONLY\ \(cloud\ storage\)/Dec\ 2014\ to\ Jan\ 2015.photolibrary/Database/
user@AsusA54C:~/Dropbox/ONLINE ONLY (cloud storage)/Dec 2014 to Jan 2015.photolibrary/Database$ ls -al
total 64
drwxr-xr-x 11 user user 4096 Oct  7 13:02 .
drwxr-xr-x  9 user user 4096 Oct  7 15:05 ..
drwxr-xr-x  2 user user 4096 Oct  7 13:03 Albums
drwxr-xr-x  2 user user 4096 Oct  7 18:36 apdb
lrwxrwxrwx  1 user user   18 Jan 18  2015 BigBlobs.apdb -> apdb/BigBlobs.apdb
-rw-r--r--  1 user user 2645 Sep 28  2019 DataModelVersion.plist
drwxr-xr-x  6 user user 4096 Oct  7 12:48 Faces
lrwxrwxrwx  1 user user   13 Jan 18  2015 Faces.db -> apdb/Faces.db
drwxr-xr-x  2 user user 4096 Oct  7 12:59 Folders
drwxr-xr-x  3 user user 4096 Oct  7 12:48 History
lrwxrwxrwx  1 user user   17 Jan 18  2015 History.apdb -> apdb/History.apdb
lrwxrwxrwx  1 user user   22 Jan 18  2015 ImageProxies.apdb -> apdb/ImageProxies.apdb
-rw-r--r--  1 user user 1497 Jan 27  2015 Keywords.plist
lrwxrwxrwx  1 user user   17 Jan 18  2015 Library.apdb -> apdb/Library.apdb
drwxr-xr-x  2 user user 4096 Oct  7 13:03 Places
lrwxrwxrwx  1 user user   20 Jan 18  2015 Properties.apdb -> apdb/Properties.apdb
-rw-r--r--  1 user user  114 Jan 28  2015 SpanCache.plist
-rw-r--r--  1 user user  303 Sep 28  2019 tmSync.plist
drwxr-xr-x  2 user user 4096 Jan 18  2015 Vaults
drwxr-xr-x  3 user user 4096 Oct  7 12:48 Versions
drwxr-xr-x  2 user user 4096 Jan 18  2015 Volumes
user@AsusA54C:~/Dropbox/ONLINE ONLY (cloud storage)/Dec 2014 to Jan 2015.photolibrary/Database$ dropbox filestatus
Dropbox isn't running!
user@AsusA54C:~/Dropbox/ONLINE ONLY (cloud storage)/Dec 2014 to Jan 2015.photolibrary/Database$ dropbox filestatus
Albums:                 unwatched
apdb:                   unwatched
BigBlobs.apdb:          unwatched
DataModelVersion.plist: unwatched
Faces:                  unwatched
Faces.db:               unwatched
Folders:                unwatched
History:                unwatched
History.apdb:           unwatched
ImageProxies.apdb:      unwatched
Keywords.plist:         unwatched
Library.apdb:           unwatched
Places:                 unwatched
Properties.apdb:        unwatched
SpanCache.plist:        unwatched
tmSync.plist:           unwatched
Vaults:                 unwatched
Versions:               unwatched
Volumes:                unwatched
user@AsusA54C:~/Dropbox/ONLINE ONLY (cloud storage)/Dec 2014 to Jan 2015.photolibrary/Database$ 

Many thanks. What next please ?

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hi @Iplicjian,

All those "unwatched" don't look well. Let start step by step. You haven't checked your whatches limit yet, as I suggested. Let's make sure you have some basic tools installed using following:

sudo apt-get install tree jq

Now, current watch limits could be evaluated using following:

db_path=`jq -r '.personal.path' ~/.dropbox/info.json`; echo -n "Your Dropbox folder $db_path entries approximate count is "; tree -a "$db_path" | wc -l; sysctl fs.inotify.max_user_watches

Most probably Dropbox folder entries are above the limit, but let see the result. 🤔

Iplicjian
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Thanks !

Installed tree (whatever that is!); no problem.

user@AsusA54C:~$ db_path=`jq -r '.personal.path' ~/.dropbox/info.json`; echo -n "Your Dropbox folder $db_path entries approximate count is "; tree -a "$db_path" | wc -l; sysctl fs.inotify.max_user_watches
Your Dropbox folder /home/user/Dropbox entries approximate count is 85186
fs.inotify.max_user_watches = 8192

What next please ?

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

🙂 Yes, as I have guessed 85186 is much bigger than 8192! The limit have to be above the actual value. Next some reserve addition, you can use the suggestion from the error, you have received previous, without any change. I'm repeating it below:

echo fs.inotify.max_user_watches=100000 | sudo tee -a /etc/sysctl.conf; sudo sysctl -p

To make sure limit is above the current entries count, repeat the check you just make in your previous post. Force Dropbox application to reload the just made settings using following:

dropbox stop; dropbox start; dropbox version; dropbox status

Check if the 'unwatched' entries are still unwatched (can be needed some time - many files are probably out of sync):

cd ~/Dropbox/ONLINE\ ONLY\ \(cloud\ storage\)/Dec\ 2014\ to\ Jan\ 2015.photolibrary/Database/; dropbox filestatus

🤔

Iplicjian
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Thanks very much. Done all that. No errors. Dropbox latest version and syncing. However, I am not yet seeing the hundreds of files that have been added / updated in the last four weeks.  

I shall leave it to sync all day BUT, if we are still not syncing, is there anything else that we can do? For example remove all trace of Dropbox from my system and start over ? 

It's clearly frustrating for you but more so for me when I think that my Win10 amd Mac systems work faultlessly as they have for YEARS ! 

Thanks for your support. John

user@AsusA54C:~$ echo fs.inotify.max_user_watches=100000 | sudo tee -a /etc/sysctl.conf; sudo sysctl -p
[sudo] password for user:  
fs.inotify.max_user_watches=100000
fs.inotify.max_user_watches = 100000
user@AsusA54C:~$ dropbox stop
Dropbox isn't responding!
user@AsusA54C:~$ dropbox stop
Dropbox isn't responding!
user@AsusA54C:~$ dropbox start
Starting Dropbox...dropbox: locating interpreter
dropbox: logging to /tmp/dropbox-antifreeze-LBJEwR
dropbox: initializing
dropbox: initializing python 3.7.9
dropbox: setting program path '/home/user/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-109.4.517/dropbox'
dropbox: setting python path '/home/user/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-109.4.517:/home/user/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-109.4.517/python-packages.zip'
dropbox: python initialized
dropbox: running dropbox
dropbox: setting args
dropbox: enabling allocator metrics
dropbox: applying overrides
dropbox: running main script
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/user/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-109.4.517/cryptography.hazmat.bindings._constant_time.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/user/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-109.4.517/cryptography.hazmat.bindings._openssl.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/user/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-109.4.517/cryptography.hazmat.bindings._padding.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/user/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-109.4.517/apex._apex.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/user/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-109.4.517/psutil._psutil_linux.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/user/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-109.4.517/psutil._psutil_posix.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/user/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-109.4.517/tornado.speedups.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/user/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-109.4.517/wrapt._wrappers.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/user/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-109.4.517/PyQt5.QtWidgets.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/user/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-109.4.517/PyQt5.QtCore.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/user/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-109.4.517/PyQt5.QtGui.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/user/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-109.4.517/PyQt5.QtNetwork.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
Dropbox isn't running!
Done!
user@AsusA54C:~$ dropbox: load fq extension '/home/user/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-109.4.517/PyQt5.QtDBus.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
cd ~/Dropbox/ONLIdropbox version
Dropbox daemon version: 109.4.517
Dropbox command-line interface version: 2020.03.04
user@AsusA54C:~$ dropbox status
Syncing 45,868 files • 2 hrs
Indexing 273 files...
Uploading 3 files...
Downloading 45,592 files (0.0 KB/sec, 2 hrs)
user@AsusA54C:~$ 

Iplicjian
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

So, after almost 24 hrs syncing,  Dropbox shows an up to date status. HOWEVER, the folders and files show me that nothing has synced for the poast month.  I have executed Dropbox stop; Dropbox start and Dropbox status. Status now says and shows syncing but, after 30 seconds shows and reports Up to date. However the folders and files are NOT up to date.

Can anyone suggest what I can do, other than give up or return to a Win10 box ? 😞 

Need more support?