cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: tRe: Linux - Unable to change Dropbox directory

Linux - Unable to change Dropbox directory

mike _.
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I'm using Fedora Workstation 25 with GNOME.

Trying to change the Dropbox directory results in the utterly useless message "Unexpected errors occurred. Your Dropbox is ok!".

Steps to recreate problem:

• Dropbox directory is currently ~/Dropbox
  • Start Dropbox application by running ~/.dropbox-dist/dropboxd
  • Right click sys tray icon and select Preferences.
  • Click "Move…" button under Account > Location
  • Select directory /local on which my user has write permissions.
  • The message "Unexpected errors occurred. Your Dropbox is ok!" appears.

Observations:

• The directory /local/Dropbox is sucesfully created.
  • One of the directories in ~/Dropbox is created in /local/Dropbox/ It's empty. Deleting that directory from ~/Dropbox before attempting the move doesn't help.
  • Selecting other directories on which my user has write permissions results in the same behaviour.
  • Permissions and ownership of my Dropbox directory and user's home directory are OK. (Troubleshooting advice for Linux at https://help.dropbox.com/desktop-web/move-dropbox-folder is pooly written. sudo is not needed on all those commands. "Internet menu" is not a thing in all (any?) desktop environments.)
  • There's a log file in ~/.dropbox/logs/1 but it's a binary blob so useless without something to make it human readable and I can't locate such a thing.
  • Deleting all my files from ~/Dropbox/  waiting for sync to complete and then attempting the move doesn't help.
  • When attemping the move after deleting all my files from ~/Dropbox/  /local/Dropbox/.dropbox.cache/ is succesfully created. It's empty.
  • Pausing syncing before attempting the move doesn't help.
  • There don't seem to be any options that can be passed to ~/.dropbox-dist/dropboxd to get more info.  (Adding --help prevents it running!)
66 Replies 66

MJoergen
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

The previous ticket number (issued by "mike") is 6168712. He wrote that earlier in the thread.

My ticket number is 6702220.

pix365
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I finally tracked down the access issues.    Even though I had chosen "NOT" to install fedora 26 in LVM mode it did just that. Soon as realised my HDD was not part of the LV enviroment -  Partioned a spare 2TB USB HDD into 2x1TB partions  added 1xITB into the LV,   Home then had +1TB of free space. ..   ( Informed dropbox support of my testing and final solution,  their reply was not a thank you, but a warning not to use a  USB drive....  humm )  FYI,  using a partition on an internal sata drive without any issues.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey all, 

I'm just updating the thread here to sum-up the troubleshooting performed via the open tickets. It seems that a small subset of Linux users have hit an issue moving the attributes across, causing a home folder move to fail. 

Should you decide to go as per the re-partitioning option: 

Partioned a spare 2TB USB HDD into 2x1TB partions  added 1xITB into the LV, 

this workaround may be the fix for you, though it’s outside Dropbox & our scope of support. If anyone resorts to this option, just bear in mind that it would be at your own peril.

Moreover, let me add that, because our engineers are aware of the issue, we'll look into deploying a solution & we appreciate your patience on the matter. 

I hope this helps you clarify, I remain at your disposal if further assistance is needed. 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

mike _.
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

@Jane wrote:

Should you decide to go as per the re-partitioning option: 

Partioned a spare 2TB USB HDD into 2x1TB partions  added 1xITB into the LV, 

this workaround may be the fix for you, though it’s outside Dropbox & our scope of support. If anyone resorts to this option, just bear in mind that it would be at your own peril.

You don't know what that thing you've quoted even means, do you.

Moreover, let me add that, because our engineers are aware of the issue, we'll look into deploying a solution & we appreciate your patience on the matter. 

Except support have told me, twice, that no one is working on the issue.

TIme to unsubscribe from this thread. Too much noise and nonsense in it now.

ViciousMagician
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
I ran into the same issue as everyone but I was able to find a fix. I had a folder shared to me in Dropbox that I was only given read access to. Once I used selective sync to uncheck this folder I was able to move to an external USB then just went back in and checked that one folder again. You can see in the selective sync window a different icon on the folder if you don't have the proper permissions to it.

pigg
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I was having this same issue.  I found a fix in creating a Dropbox folder in my home directory prior to connecting my account.  This caused the installer to throw an error about a Dropbox folder already existing that prompted me to either delete the Dropbox folder or select a different location.  Eureka!  (for me at least...)

crystal-butler
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

That's the same workaround we had to implement at my job, where I help support many Linux users on a network file system. So far it's worked for everyone who has tried it.

6GeMiNi9
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hello fellows:)

My question is about Linux OS (Debian in this case) and I'm trying to figured out how to change the default directory (that right now is root ˜ )

I followed this official guide: https://www.dropbox.com/install-linux

And downloaded the dropbox.py to handle it. It works everything.

Now the issue: how can I move everything to "/home/user"? Symlinks is not a solution because I set home directories to a raid partition of 8TB, so I need it there. Actually root is only 300GB and I have more data than that. 

I've been looking for a relaiable solution but nothing..

Please help ❤️

Thanks in advance

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey 6GeMiNi9, thanks for posting your inquiry on our Community, I hope you’re doing well today! 

As we currently fully support the following Linux distros: Ubuntu 10.04 or higher & Fedora 19 or higher", I’ve made sure to move your post here, in order to check the workarounds posted previously that have fixed the issue in some cases. 

Keep us updated on how these options work for you & any progress you’ve made. Thanks & I hope you have a wonderful rest of the day ahead!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

6GeMiNi9
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

wait please:D explain it better, every step!!

Need more support?