cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux/Windows dual-boot in 2020

Linux/Windows dual-boot in 2020

STrRedWolf
Helpful | Level 5

It's 2020.  It's time to update the question:  Can Dropbox use NTFS partitions in Linux again?

There's old text.  There's too many bug reports. Nothing recent.

"Linux uses different ways to store metadata than Windows."  That's a code problem and there are tools to address it easily enough.  Linux can access NTFS partitions with ntfs-3g. It even supports extended attributes via an easily-added mount option.  Date/time stamps can be translated, and detecting if the RTC date is UTC or local is easy (it's in configuration files).   In other words, it's an invalid excuse.

So, do we try this again?

3 Replies 3

Re: Linux/Windows dual-boot in 2020

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @STrRedWolf, thanks for posting on the Community!

The Dropbox desktop application can only access the following file systems on a Linux device:

• ext4
  • zfs (on 64-bit systems only)
  • eCryptFS (back by ext4)
  • xfs (on 64-bit systems only)
  • btrfs

NTFS isn't supported on Linux devices since the original change.

Let me know if you need any more info!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

STrRedWolf
Helpful | Level 5

Yes.  I need a lot more information.  Namely, why?

Ext4 has nanosecond resolution for file timestamps. So does btrfs, XFS, ZFS, and any overlay file system using those as a base.  Translating that to UTC or local time is a code problem (yes, I've done it, there's too many libraries out there).

NTFS has 100 nanosecond resolution (worse), set from 1601-01-01 00:00:00.00 UTC. The ntfs-3g driver supports driving that down to full nanosecond resolution as of 2010.  All can be pulled via statx(2) and set by utimensat(2).

Everything else is extended attributes, and if you need them active, that's a mount option to ntfs-3g and therefore a documentation problem.

So, seriously, why does it need a specific set of file systems on Linux when other file systems have the right capabilities to perform the same task?

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

@STrRedWolf wrote:

Yes.  I need a lot more information.  Namely, why?

So, seriously, why does it need a specific set of file systems on Linux when other file systems have the right capabilities to perform the same task?

Yes, you're right! Believe me no one Droboxer here can give you meaningful answer. Most of them, I'm sure, even don't understand what you are asking, actually your arguments. Those who know what your question ( why? ) mean will not comment it because could lose their job. Most of the moderators can just copy something from a help topic matching your question and comment it to some extent as you probably have noticed already. 🤷 That's it, unfortunately!

QoS goes down last 2 or 3 years. There aren't any new feature added to Linux application recently. The only new things are different restrictions. I was "surprised" with a "news" related to users data get used for test purposes! Just take in mind. There are other providers.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?