cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux client creates new link for same computer for every re-login.

Linux client creates new link for same computer for every re-login.

ramjr2020
Explorer | Level 3

This type of problem has been reported at least once:  "New device with each app startup"

However, my case is not exactly the same.

I'm running client version 120.4.4598 on Debain 10.9, using KDE Plasma desktop.

There is some sort of hardware issue (working as a separate issue) that causes a hard lock up and I have to reset.  When Dropbox restarts after reboot and login, it wants me to add the "new" computer to my list of linked devices, even though the "new" entry appears to me to be identical to the original.

Today, I decided to enable 2-factor authentication.  On completion, Dropbox was logged out and when I hovered my mouse cursor over the Dropbox icon, it said "starting".  When I finished the 2-factor identification, I again got a "new" linked computer in the list and hovering the cursor shows the message "up to date".

I tried stopping Dropbox using the "Quit" menu item from the icon and then manually restarted it.  No problem this way.

I even tried killing the background process with signal 9 and restarting.  Again, no problem restarting.

This is not a major issue, so long as I'm able to get to my Dropbox account in the browser and remove extra linked devices, but the client really should be able to figure out that there is an existing link and "reuse" it.

3 Replies 3

Re: Linux client creates new link for same computer for every re-login.

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @ramjr2020, thanks for posting today!

In general, this shouldn't occur since the computer should be seen as the same device after a normal reboot.

However, if you're experiencing hardware issues, there could be something else which is breaking the link to Dropbox. It could be changing the name of the device to a temporary name and then back to the original, or preventing the Dropbox app from permanence for its settings, or literally wiping the connection to Dropbox by resetting its settings each time it reboots.

I'd recommend checking your system to see if any of these might be a factor in what you're experiencing.

Keep me updated with any progress!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

ramjr2020
Explorer | Level 3

OK, but I have no idea about changes like you mention.  I use the environment with minimal, if any, system settings changes. And though I have hardware issues, with the hard lock up, they are fairly infrequent.  I do keep my system updated on a regular basis, so I suppose something there might have caused a change?

As for figuring out what might be changing, under the hood, I would need to know where to look, under the hood.  I have no idea what files are used by Dropbox or where they are located.  If you could supply some info on what to check, I can set up some monitoring to let me know if anything changes between boots, etc.

Thanks.

Jay
Dropboxer
This is something that can vary depending on your Linux installation, so there isn't a definite list of where to check.

I'll leave this thread open so that other users can comment with their suggestions on this matter.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropboxer
    ramjr2020 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?