cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux client not syncing local files to Dropbox

Linux client not syncing local files to Dropbox

WilcoBox
Explorer | Level 3

Hope somebody can help me with an unusual problem.

I have a dropbox client running headless on my Ubuntu 16.04 server. Up until recently it has been working fine. Recently though I have noticed that if a file is created on the linux client, the file is not synced to Dropbox and is therefore not visible to other machines accessing my dropbox account.

Strangely if I create a file on Dropbox (say using the web interface), the linux client detects the new file and it is copied down to the server. If that same file is then deleted, either directly through the web interface or on the linux client, both remote and local copies are removed.

I have reinstalled the linux client but the behaviour remains as described above. I'm stuck at the moment as my knowledge of linux is fairly limited. If anyone can provide some insight as to what could be the problem it will be appreciated.

4 Replies 4

Re: Linux client not syncing local files to Dropbox

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

@WilcoBox wrote:

Strangely if I create a file on Dropbox (say using the web interface), the linux client detects the new file and it is copied down to the server. If that same file is then deleted, either directly through the web interface or on the linux client, both remote and local copies are removed.

Hi @WilcoBox,

According your description, which I just cited above, everything work fine. That's exactly what's expected from one sync system, including Dropbox. Dropbox synchronization work in the same way on all supported OSes, including MAC, Linux and Windows. What's so "strangely"? :thinking:

@WilcoBox wrote:

I have a dropbox client running headless on my Ubuntu 16.04 server. Up until recently it has been working fine. Recently though I have noticed that if a file is created on the linux client, the file is not synced to Dropbox and is therefore not visible to other machines accessing my dropbox account.

Are you sure all new files, created on your headless Linux, get in the Dropbox directory? Only files in this folder get in sync! Let say one of your new files name is "content.ext" and resides directly in the Dropbox folder. What's the result from following:

ls -l ~/Dropbox/content.ext

Set the correct file name and insert between "Dropbox" and the file name all intermediate directories, if any.

WilcoBox
Explorer | Level 3

Hi, thanks for the reply

@Здравко wrote:

@WilcoBox wrote:

Hi @WilcoBox,

According your description, which I just cited above, everything work fine. That's exactly what's expected from one sync system, including Dropbox. Dropbox synchronization work in the same way on all supported OSes, including MAC, Linux and Windows. What's so "strangely"? :thinking:

Sorry for the confusion. I was simply noting that the behaviour of the sync process is fine when the file is first created on Dropbox (say by another pc) but when a file is created on the linux server the sync process fails.

@WilcoBox wrote:

Are you sure all new files, created on your headless Linux, get in the Dropbox directory? Only files in this folder get in sync! Let say one of your new files name is "content.ext" and resides directly in the Dropbox folder. What's the result from following:

ls -l ~/Dropbox/content.ext

Set the correct file name and insert between "Dropbox" and the file name all intermediate directories, if any.

Yes I am sure. Created a file in the root of the Dropbox folder as suggested and then ran the command. The response I get is :

-rwxr--r-- 1 root root 0 Apr 6 08:00 /home/ennio/Dropbox/content.ext 

So yes,  the file is in the dropbox folder but it is not synced to my Dropbox account. 

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

@WilcoBox wrote:
Yes I am sure. Created a file in the root of the Dropbox folder as suggested and then ran the command. The response I get is :

-rwxr--r-- 1 root root 0 Apr 6 08:00 /home/ennio/Dropbox/content.ext 

So yes,  the file is in the dropbox folder but it is not synced to my Dropbox account. 

Hi @WilcoBox,

Yes, for sure the particular file will not gets in sync. Dropbox avoid sync for files which aren't owned by Dropbox context and which don't have read and write permission for Dropbox' context!

One question: Why are you putting file in Dropbox folder owned by "ennio", while you run your things in "root" context?! :wink:

Hope this gives the right direction.

WilcoBox
Explorer | Level 3

Hi @Здравко 

Thankyou, thankyou and thankyou !

You were right - it was a permissions issue.  I noticed  that one of the settings in Webmin (which I'm using to administer the server....remember my knowledge of linux is pretty limited !) was forcing root privilges. I've now removed that setting and accessing the folder as user 'ennio'.  This seems to have fixed the problem.

Thanks again for your help.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?