cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux client unable to sync after reboot

Linux client unable to sync after reboot

Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

I recently wiped and rebuilt my system to reorganise my partitions. In the process I reinstalled Dropbox and it appeared to be working well while it was on. The problem I'm encountering is Dropbox is unable to sync anything after I reboot my computer. I can install Dropbox fresh and starts downloading my files. However, as soon as I reboot, when I hover my cursor over, the Dropbox icon in the panel, all it says is "Syncing...".

There's no evidence that I can see that it's doing anything. CPU usage is at 0% and memory is not moving. Ordinarily I would see memory usage grow as Dropbox is downloading files, especially on a fresh install. If I restart or pause/resume it doesn't help. Rebooting doesn't help either.

I've tried reinstalling, I've run through the advanced reinstall instructions, and I've tried selectively downloading single folders at a time. Nothing works.

I'm running Fedora 32 with Dropbox 104.4.175.

Thanks in advance.

6 Replies 6

Re: Linux client unable to sync after reboot

Dropboxer

Hi @neonblue2, thanks for posting on the Community!

I'm sorry to hear about this. Is the Dropbox folder on a separate hard drive or partition, and what format is the drive itself?

Is it possible that a proxy, VPN, firewall, security software, or even ISP/router issues that could be restricting traffic to the following Dropbox domains?

Keep me posted!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Jay,

I'm sorry to hear about this. Is the Dropbox folder on a separate hard drive or partition, and what format is the drive itself?

It's on a separate hard drive with a custom mount point. Just to be sure, I checked a few minutes ago to see if leaving the Dropbox folder in my home directory fixed the problem. It doesn't. After a reboot it's stuck again.

Is it possible that a proxy, VPN, firewall, security software, or even ISP/router issues that could be restricting traffic to the following Dropbox domains?

I do have a Raspberry Pi running Pi Hole on the network but it's not blocking any Dropbox domains. They're all going through. I'm not having any problems on my other computers either. One is running Debian 10 and the other is on macOS 10.15.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Dropboxer

Can you try connecting the device directly to the router, without the Pi device in between, to see if this helps at all?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

I can't do that but what I have done is taken it off the network. Still not working though, unfortunately.

And in answer to a previous question that you asked, the drives are both formatted Ext4.

Dropboxer

It does sound like there some sort of issue with the device itself, if the app can't access Dropbox even on another network.

I'm not sure what else to suggest, as you've already tried the advanced re-installation, and drive formats are normal. Perhaps there's another factor involved with the configuration of the system that is affecting the functioning of the app once you reboot.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Explorer | Level 3

That is possible but if that is the case then it must be part of the normal Fedora startup. A few days ago I wiped my system clean again and put the partitions back the way they were when Dropbox was working. After installing Fedora I installed Dropbox with no other changes and left it for an hour before rebooting. Same problem as before.

Since my Dropbox subscription runs out next month I've decided to cancel and move to another service.

I really appreciate your help, Jay. Whatever the problem is doesn't seem like we're going to figure it out in the end.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?