cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux desktop app has incorrect case for file paths

Linux desktop app has incorrect case for file paths

thermans
Explorer | Level 4

I recently updated my workstation from Ubuntu 14.04 to 16.04. After the upgrade I have issues when I try and click on recently changed files from the badge. Instead of opening the corresponding directory in Nautilus as expected, I get an error message from nautilus saying "Unable to find the requested file. Please check the spelling and try again." and then a path is given where the directories after "Dropbox/a..." are all lower case, even though the names on disk and on the dropbox website begin with upercase letters.

I tried reinstalling the desktop app and it did not fix the problem (v 35.3.15).

5 Replies 5

Re: Linux desktop app has incorrect case for file paths

310EI
Super User

@thermans wrote:

I recently updated my workstation from Ubuntu 14.04 to 16.04. After the upgrade I have issues when I try and click on recently changed files from the badge. Instead of opening the corresponding directory in Nautilus as expected, I get an error message from nautilus saying "Unable to find the requested file. Please check the spelling and try again."

I tried reinstalling the desktop app and it did not fix the problem (v 35.3.15).

Hello, @thermans...

I'm using Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS on two different computers and I'm not experiencing any problems with either of them using the Dropbox Desktop Client (both 32 bit).

I recommend that you try the newest stable build (offline installer) vs the beta version that you're using (v35.3.15).  After installing it, please restart your computer.

If the stable build doesn't solve your particular issue then we'll ponder what to try next.

HELP CENTER ARTICLES

thermans
Explorer | Level 4

I installed the stable version as suggested (64bit).

After a system restart, launching dropbox, and restart nautilus, when I now click on a filename nothing happens at all.

I'm not sure if the behavior is being blocked because the system is reindexing my disk after the reinstall or if it is still a problem.

I wont be able to test if that is an issue until tomorrow, since the indexing will take some time.

thermans
Explorer | Level 4

The problem persists. I got the error message once. All other attempts fail silently.

310EI
Super User

@thermans wrote:

I installed the stable version as suggested (64bit).

After a system restart, launching dropbox, and restart nautilus, when I now click on a filename nothing happens at all.

I'm not sure if the behavior is being blocked because the system is reindexing my disk after the reinstall or if it is still a problem.

I wont be able to test if that is an issue until tomorrow, since the indexing will take some time.

Hello, @thermans...

Okay, glad you installed the stable version... that helps to alleviate any possible beta related issues.

Other Possible Scenarios:

• Did you choose a custom location for installing the Desktop Client originally (or during a current installation)?
  • Did you inadvertently move the Dropbox folder after installation into another folder vs it's default location?

BTW:  I'm not being a smart-arse when asking above questions... just thinking of other causes.

310EI
Super User

@thermans wrote:

The problem persists. I got the error message once. All other attempts fail silently.

Hello, @thermans...

I was typing my answer that I just posted a minute ago when you posted above unbeknownst to me.

You may want to consider submitting a Help Request so someone from Dropbox can trouble-shoot the problem.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

310EI Super User
    thermans Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?