cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loading menu message -- update

Loading menu message -- update

Greg W.2
New member | Level 2

As you can see from the communication I had with Dropbox (read the copy which I pasted below) they said I was using an old version of Dropbox.  They provided a link for an update and a link so I could subscribe to their blog where they would alert users to updates. 

Uploading a more recent version of Dropbox seems to have resolved my problem.  Sorry for the delay in passing this along to others.

MY CORRESPONDENCE WITH DROPBOX:

Yes, you can subscribe to our blog and get updates sent to your email here:

https://blogs.dropbox.com/dropbox/

Please let me know if you have additional questions.

Regards,
Rocky

Greg Wisner, Jul 15, 5:28 PM:
Hi Rocky

That seems to have fixed it. Did I miss an alert from Dropbox about updating the desktop app? I don’t remember seeing one. I just suddenly couldn’t create a link.

Thanks for your help.

Greg

Rocky, Jul 15, 2:57 PM:
Hi Greg,

Thanks for following up.

I've looked into your account and it appears you are connecting to Dropbox using an older version of the desktop application. Updating to the latest version of Dropbox should resolve the issue you're experiencing and prevent subsequent errors.

You can find the latest version of the Dropbox desktop application here:
https://www.dropbox.com/downloading

** To install on Mac, open the .dmg file and double click the Dropbox icon to install Dropbox.
We regularly update active Dropbox accounts automatically to the latest version. If we have issues updating your computer to the latest version the Dropbox application will let you know that your current version is old. You can read more about the updating process here:
https://www.dropbox.com/help/6251

My Original Post:

When I try to establish a link to my Dropbox all I see are the screened-back words "Loading menu" so I'm not able to use the account. Why is it doing this and how can I fix it?

8 Replies 8

Re: Loading menu message -- update

Dave F.15
New member | Level 1

I have the same problem.  Please let us know how to get our links.

anne g.8
New member | Level 1

Same issue. Anxious to find how to fix it.

Ilana E.
New member | Level 1

Same here!  Any updates?

Colin C.16
Helpful | Level 5

I can find no way to get a link [as I used to on a Mac with ctrl-click on file [?Windows rt-click], and although DB says it is up to date all I get in the DB menu on my desktop os "Loading menu".

Is help at hand?

julian H.1
New member | Level 1

I have the same problem and my client is up to date. Any ideas ?

LVS
Explorer | Level 3

Same problem here, both on Mavericks (OS X 10.9.5) and Snow Leopard (OS X 10.6.8). Quitting Dropbox and relaunching it fixes the "Loading menu . . ." hang temporarily but it soon returns. Very annoying.

Running Dropbox 3.12.5 on both systems.

Dan H.10
New member | Level 1

rarely loads.

JPDemers
Helpful | Level 5

Problem still exists as of December 2016.  (Snow Leopard on an old MacBook, with latest and greatest version of Dropbox (16.4.30).  Quitting and re-launching Dropbox is the "fix".

I suspect they have neither the time nor inclination to patch up the program to maintain full compatibility with older systems.  Add it to the growing list of annoyances you have to live with when your OS is frozen in time.

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Dan H.10 New member | Level 1
    LVS Explorer | Level 3
    julian H.1 New member | Level 1
    Colin C.16 Helpful | Level 5
    Ilana E. New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?