cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Local Folder Sync issues with move to new laptop

Local Folder Sync issues with move to new laptop

bab084
Explorer | Level 3

Hello, all,

I recently migrated my old MacBook Pro hd info to a brand new one and loaded dropbox to the new laptop.

For some reason I can see most of the folders on the local dropbox app on the new Mac, but I added some additional folders to the old laptop local app (I was still using it during the migration for a few things) and now the new folders and info will not sync on the new Mac.

FYI, I can see all folders on the online dropbox app, just not on the local app on the new Mac.

Originally, there were about 100,000 files that would not sync on the new Mac, so I un-installed dropbox on the new Mac, reinstalled it, and now there are only about 46,000 files that are not synced which include the most recent files that I need on the new local drive.

Just curious if I should try un-installing again, with a new re-install, or perhaps someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.

8 Replies 8

Re: Local Folder Sync issues with move to new laptop

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @bab084, thanks for contacting us!

In which location are these other folders that are not syncing to your new computer? Are they randomly located, or in a specific location?

Are they inside a private folder or a shared folder? Does the Dropbox desktop application show that it is up to date?

Any other info or screenshots would be helpful!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

bab084
Explorer | Level 3

Hi, Jay,

The folders on my old computer are located in our company's main JOBS folder, sorted by year, like "2020" and "2021".

Then within each YEAR folder, we have subfolders for each specific job, like "2021-001, 2021-002" etc.

On my old Mac, I see everything in all folders.

On my new Mac local app, I see most of the folders from 2020, yet do not see any folder for 2021 jobs. (The 2021 folder was added very recently by one of our managers.)

On the new Mac, I am also not seeing the NEW folders and data that I added to an existing 2020 job-specific folder while working on the old Mac.

When I go to dropbox.com online, I can see all 2020 folders, as well as the 2021 folders, on either Mac and the managers of the folders, as well as seeing that I am a member of the folders.

I can also see that I am a member of job folders that I can not see on the local desktop app on the new Mac.

The old Mac shows the green check mark "up to date", yet the new Mac just shows "syncing 44,6XX files", which it has been showing now for a few days.

Both Mac's show the same version dropbox, 115.4.601.

Hopefully, I was successful and clear in explaining the issue.

I'm not sure my company would approve of putting screenshots online.

It's probably a simple fix but it is eluding me for the moment.

Jay
Dropboxer
Could you try fixing the hardlinks and permissions for the Dropbox desktop application to see if this helps?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

bab084
Explorer | Level 3

Jay,

I did as requested and it is doing the same thing, back to trying to sync 46K+ files.

I'll be offline this evening but if you think of anything else I can try, I'll be back tomorrow.

Thanks for your help so far.

Jay
Dropboxer
If you click the ^ arrow, does it show the files trying to sync?

If you click your avatar in the desktop app, and then view sync issues, do you see any info there?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

bab084
Explorer | Level 3

When I click the ^ arrow, it shows files but there is a green check mark next to them all.

When I click the avatar, it shows a bunch of files totally unrelated to any project I am working on.

I have a call with our IT dept. tomorrow afternoon and hope they can help.

I may have mentioned it but I do have access thru the online dropbox account and I can get to what I need, so it's not an emergency.

It just would be nice to see everything on my desktop.

Perhaps it is one of my settings in the online account?

I appreciate your attempts to help get this resolved, Jay.

Jay
Dropboxer
I understand, keep me updated if you have any news from them.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

bab084
Explorer | Level 3

Jay,

I haven't yet talked to our IT dept., but I wanted to share some additional info.

When I first migrated my old laptop to the new one, via my 1TB hard drive backup, the new Mac assigned a totally new user in my name to the new Mac.

This new user did not have any of my old desktop info on it and appeared to be, as mentioned, a "new user".

Not knowing what had happened, I initially installed the local app to the "new user" and it worked perfectly, syncing all folders and files.

It was only after I realized my "old user" account still existed that I attempted to get the "old user" to sync properly and that is where I find myself today, with sync issues.

I have since deleted the "new user" account, so that now I have only the "admin" account and the "old User" account, and still dropbox does not sync.

Additionally, under the local dropbox icon, I have the option to choose where dropbox is located, and saw that it was still linked to that "new user" I mentioned, so this morning I changed that so dropbox would assign the location to the "old user".

Nothing seems to have changed, so I am not worried.

I also deleted the dropbox app from applications, downloaded the dmg installer again, and still the same issues.

However, the version has changed, from the 115.4.601 (to my recollection), to what appears to be a beta version, 116.3.324.

I just wanted you to have some more info to chew on prior to my call today.

I hope my explanation of everything has been clear enough to follow.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?