cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Location is not available... the file or directory is corrupted and unreadable

Location is not available... the file or directory is corrupted and unreadable

steve12955
Explorer | Level 3

I occasionally use an old Toshiba laptop with Windows 10.  I tried to access some Word and PDF files in Dropbox from the C: drive and got the error message: "Dropbox is not accessible.  The file or directory is corrupted or unreadable."  The documents still exist on the Dropbox website and I can access and open them from my phone and another desktop we have at home, so the issue is with my laptop's C: drive. 

I did not recently install any new software although an automatic Windows update occurred in the last 10 days or so.  I tried to run DSKCHK, both scheduled and by manually rebooting so that it executed on StartUp, but it doesn't run.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

15 Replies 15

Chris G.12
New member | Level 2

"Location is not available" (personal information removed) and "the file or directory is corrupted and unreadable" when accessing file in Windows 7.. Yet luckily I can still open the folder going through a browser to access Dropbox, open files, etc

Can you run any troubleshooting software to identify which file(s) in [personal information removed] are causing the issue? I tried to run something that said a bunch of Pandas were identifying the bad files but then a red rectangle appeared at the top saying the program had quit running. A little help please?

theresamccarthy
New member | Level 2

This is happening to me as well. Really need assistance. Thank you.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Hey  , thanks for checking in on our Community, I hope you’ve had a great day so far!

I've already checked back on your open ticket on our system, though I'll re-phrase the troubleshooting suggested by my colleague, in case someone experiences the same issue (or just so as to leave this open for further suggestions).

Based on your description, you’re experiencing an underlying syncing issue &, to my mind, your best bet at the moment would be to disable any Security/Antivirus programs are running in the background & give our offline installer a try:

Once you do, please keep me updated on your results in your next post (I’d also appreciate any visuals or additional troubleshooting you’ve done on your own), so that we work on that together as closely as possible!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

steve12955
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Jane, thanks for replying.  I reinstalled Dropbox by temporarily disabling Norton anti-virus but no change other than DB version 52.4.58 is now installed.  I can access my DB-saved files by going through the DB website or clicking on the icon in the taskbar but if I try going through its typical path on the C: drive hwre the docs were originally saved I get the "...not available...corrupted and unreadable" message.  I right-clicked on the DB icon and used Microsoft's Troubleshoot Compatibility function but it hangs up when I try to test the settings using Windows 8 which is the default Windows version that appears.  Windows 10 Home Edition was installed or updated on 5/24/18 and is what's installed now.

I don't believe any other apps or updates other than Windows happened in the last three weeks or so.  The problem with accessing DB-saved files began last Thursday 6/14.  It's worked perfectly ever since DB was first installed years ago.

It may be outside your domain but CHKDSK won't run when I schedule it for start-up so I can't use this feature to find out what the issue is.  Any other ideas are appreciated.

Thanks, Steve 

Rich
Super User II
You disabled Norton for the reinstall, but have you temporarily disabled it and tested to see if the problem continues while it's disabled?

steve12955
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Rich, yes I tested it while both Norton Smart Firewall and Norton Auto-Protect were disabled.  I continue to get the error message.  Again, the files are accessible from my phone and desktop, both of which have the Norton Suite installed.  It's only the laptop that's problematic.  It doesn't recognize the path: C:\Users\Laptop\Dropbox.  Word and Excel docs, PDFs and photos are all affected.

When I run chkdsk it tells me that the drive is in use and has to run at startup.  I restart it but don't believe chkdsk runs since I read that it's supposed to take a while to scan the drive - it starts up normally.  I also read that repeatedly hitting F8 at startup no longer works with Windows 10 to start it in Safe Mode so that a scan can be done.  

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Thanks for your prompt update here @steve12955!

I understand that you'd need some further assistance, therefore I'd advise getting back to my colleague on your open ticket, as they have direct access to your account specifics via our official support channel. I can see that they’re currently awaiting your next message after your discussion there.

Please include all relevant details on this email chain (eg. as this is specific to your device’s setup, any visuals you could include on that correspondence would help expedite matters) & rest assured that my coworkers will do their best to help you over. 

I hope this gets resolved soon for you & I’m always here if you have more questions or you’d like to share your thoughts! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

steve12955
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks again for your assistance but the problem persists.  I'd like to keep this chat open and will follow up with Ken to keep the case open.  Thanks.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Sure, that’s why I‘m here steve12955, let me follow-up in a little bit more info below! 

You may keep in mind that open requests may close automatically on our system after a certain period of inactivity, therefore if you’d like to keep your correspondence with my colleague open, all you need to do is reply back to his email asking him for more time, so as to gather more info. 

Don’t worry if your ticket closes though, as our system lets us track down previous requests, so any troubleshooting done will not be lost. 

I hope that this brings a bit more clarity & please do let me know here if you still need assistance in any way. Happy Friday! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

steve12955 Explorer | Level 3
    Jane Dropbox Staff
    Luffy Experienced | Level 11
    smarquina Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?