cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you an educator? Well we want to hear from you, so check out some tools we think might help you out here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Locked out of Dropbox! Money being wasted.

Locked out of Dropbox! Money being wasted.

luke s.22
New member | Level 1

I changed my phone number recently and I have two-step verification so I can't log in because I can't remember my 16 digit security code. I have just been through the whole Google Authenticator App rubbish and made my whole life more complicated because I've had to add two step verification to Google. I had to create another account just to ask a question.

You even have a paragraph on how to disable two-step but then the only solutions are LOG-IN and disable it. I CAN'T LOG IN!

I am paying monthly and I can't even access it. Please let me know how to fix this quick.

I know my password but my phone number is different so I click on 'lost my phone' and get to the 16 digit code and can't remember it so I have hit a brick wall.

Thanks!

8 Replies 8

Re: Locked out of Dropbox! Money being wasted.

Tom_H
Super User alumni

I hate to be blunt, but you signed up for extra protection and failed to keep the recovery code safe. You're asking Dropbox to let you into an account, based upon the very actions you wished to protect it against.

If it were me in the same situation, I would be super P.O. at myself but, I would expect Dropbox to honor my request to prevent such login / access attempts. 

I suggest a couple of actions. 

Get a good password manager and store future recovery keys in that database. I am partial to 1Password. But so long as you use one to protect yourself in the future feel free to choose your own.

Set up the secondary phone in the Dropbox preferences in case you loose your primary again. I usually use one for my spouse. I would however suggest that you use an individual that may no be on the same phone account as yours. Just in case of carrier phone number changes etc.,

Again, I do not mean to be short, and I am indeed sorry for the situation you are in. I have also been in the same situation. Its not easy and surely wasn't for me. But it was a major learning experience.

I would think all you can do is call the Bank and cancel the authorization for the transaction. This will most likely need to be done as you cannot access your account information to invalidate the charges. 

If you wish to ask support the same questions you can do so here. https://www.dropbox.com/support but I would expect much of the same answers. 

I wish I could give better information / outcome.

Mark
Super User II

Please let me know how to fix this quick.

You cant. 

You set up a system to secure your data to stop people getting access to it who shouldnt have access. You cannot now circumvent that security. You were given a 16 digit code to keep safe and make sure you could get access again. Without that the account is lost. 

If you contact Dropbox at www.dropbox.com/support they will, however, stop payments on the account for you. You can then track that ticket at http://dropbox.zendesk.com

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Mark
Super User II

DAMNIT! Ninja'd.

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

luke s.22
New member | Level 1

Thanks for the responses. I moved abroad and had a million things to transfer over but my Dropbox code was left behind.

To be fair though, can't I identify myself some other way by ringing up or providing other information? (I can't find a phone number). All my files are at the mercy of remembering a password? Sure, it was stupid of me, but is that it? I have never encountered such a dead-end like this.

I will try the support thing, I thought that this was Dropbox support (hence my annoyed tone rather than a polite one)

but thanks for the responses, I appreciate it. 

Tom_H
Super User alumni

Hey Luke

Given the situation, I would also be annoyed, so its all good.

Phone support is only for Dropbox for Business accounts. Pro and basic accounts are here and the ticket method indicated above. 

Mark
Super User II

Sure, it was stupid of me, but is that it? 

Yes it is. Otherwise the whole addition of the security features is irrelevant. Its easy enough to fake the other information. 

Sorry. But that data is lost. 

DaveC2
New member | Level 1

At best, if you are auto paying by credit card you might get assistance from support@dropbox.com if you supply them the account email address and credit card details, I would say "unless I can regain access, I withdraw right to charge my card", they cant ignore that knowing you cant use the site to withdraw the card as you cant access the site.

More than likely they might just stop charging the card tho, and still not give you access.

Mark
Super User II

Which is what I said first of all Dave.... they will stop payments as soon as you contact them. Or transfer over to a new account 

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
    DaveC2 New member | Level 1
    Tom_H Super User alumni
    luke s.22 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?