cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Longterm solution for sigstore.dbx, filecache.dbx and checker.dbx?

Explorer | Level 3

First off here is my setup:

• Business Dropbox account
  • Actual dropbox folder is set to an external raid connected via USB as NAS is not allowed with business accounts
  • Most projects are set to Online Only, with only our current projects set to sync.
  • We have a total of ~56TB on dropbox currently
  • Locally I have a 500GB NVME boot drive.
  • Using Windows 10

Now the issue I'm having is as time progesses and we utilize dropbox as a longterm cloud backup of projects the local cache files (sigstore.dbx, filecache.dbx and checker.dbx) are growing in size.  Currently they're at a total of 50.2GB which is utilizing over 10% of my boot drive.  Very soon this will turn into a critical problem as programs utilize most of the boot drive. I've already had to dump a lot of data off to the network due to space issues on my c drive.

Is there a solution to reduce the size of these cache files, such as removing folders from online only and setting their folders to not sync or be visible locally?  Or will my dropbox folder have to be moved to a slower computer with a larger c drive specifically to handle this data and then share the dropbox drive through the network?  If I do utilize the latter method, what issues can you see arising from a network shared dropbox drive (I'm the only user on this network)?

Thank you for your time

6 Replies 6
Highlighted

Re: Longterm solution for sigstore.dbx, filecache.dbx and checker.dbx?

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi there @vfxmonster,

Perhaps you can try manually clearing the Dropbox cache folder. I'd only recommend doing this when you desktop app isn't trying to sync, as the cache folder holds the temporary files and may slow down the syncing that's in progress.

Let me know if this helps - thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Thank you for the suggestion.  Where would I find that folder as my dropbox is not on the c drive, but external raid and there's no cache folder in the root of my dropbox folder?  I have hidden files/folders set to visible.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @vfxmonster,

That sounds strange indeed! Could you try pasting the following code: 

%HOMEPATH%\Dropbox\.dropbox.cache

Into your location bar within the File Explorer like so:

cache-folder0.png

Perhaps that might help you to locate the cache folder. The current location of the Dropbox folder shouldn't affect where the cache folder is located but this should hopefully provide some clarity.

Please just note that if you have 2 accounts connected to your desktop app, then the name of the Dropbox folder is appended with (Company name) or (Personal) and so the code about would look something like : %HOMEPATH%\Dropbox (Company)\.dropbox.cache

Let me know how it goes - thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

The sigstore.dbx, filecache.dbx and checker.dbx files are not stored in cache. They're part of the user profile, located in AppData\Local\Dropbox\instance1. Clearing the cache will do nothing to reduce their size.

The files can be deleted (when Dropbox isn't running), but Dropbox will simply re-index your data and recreate those files the next time it runs.

b3027bb29438c56bbecf7904c71753f8.gif

If you have a large Dropbox folder, in terms of file size OR file quantity, the re-index process could take a long time.

Those files are a required part of the Dropbox process and are best left alone.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the insight.  That's what my research was pointing to as well and unfortunately it seems the only option.  I was really hoping dropbox had some hidden way to relocate those files and redirect any calls to them to a new location.  If they can't be moved then I'll have to move this dropbox account to a dedicated machine with a higher capacity/slower sata drive as the boot drive.  Which leads me back to my original question, is it possible to share the dropbox folder across a network as a shared drive and are there any complications of this methodolgy?

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

@vfxmonster wrote:

... is it possible to share the dropbox folder across a network as a shared drive and are there any complications of this methodolgy?

The Dropbox folder is just a folder like any other. You can share it using whatever means are available in your OS, but it's not suggested to do so.

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?