cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Lost Finder Integration in OS X 10.11 (El Capitan)

Lost Finder Integration in OS X 10.11 (El Capitan)

Albert D.4
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hi,

since a few days it seems that I have lost the Finder-Integration in OS X 10.11.

Synchronization works fine, but I'm missing the Dropbox-Icon (in the sidebar the folder looks like a regular folder) and there is no status icon next to the files either (if the file is being synced, etc).

On my wifes computer (running 10.11) as well all works fine - I'm wondering if this has to do because I have the Pro-Account?!?!

68 Replies 68

JoeT
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I had the same issue and was able to get overlay icons back using by doing this:

• Completely uninstall Dropbox. I used Clean My Mac but you can do it manually using these instructions https://www.dropbox.com/en/help/41 Do everything in the 'For Advanced users' section.
  • Do not move Dropbox folder to the trash
  • Download and install latest version of Dropbox
  • Re-login to Dropbox and if you had only certain folders selected to sync redo your Selective Sync settings.
  • Save settings
  • Relaunch Finder Option+Right Click Finder icon in Dock > Relaunch

Hope that helps.

Peter Y.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I have disabled SIP via Terminal in recovery mode, restarted, unlinked my dropbox, repaired permissions in dropbox preferences.  Same problem.  Quit and deleted the dropbox application, and reinstalled it with a fresh download from dropbox, v3.18.1.  Same problem.  I am currently running with SIP disabled.  Every time I boot my computer or manually quit and restart dropbox the dialog for repairing permissions of my dropbox folder opens.  I have done this half a dozen times but the dialog continually returns.  No solution yet...

OSX 10.11.4

Dropbox 3.18.1

Alexander W.16
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Funny Issue. I have Dropbox, Synology Cloud Station and Google Drive present. I won't disable SIP, since it is way more important to me to have a protection of vital system files than to have the icon in the sidebar.

Dropbox used mach_inject which won't work since SIP was introduced. But since 10.10 there is the Finder Sync API which should work with SIP enabled. My Google Drive icon isn't there either, so Google seams to use the same method.

Disabling Google Drives Icon integration doesn't fix it for me. But restarting Dropbox and Finder, after Google Drive has been launched, does, at least for a while. It seams the two integrations match each other in a way. Cloud Station didn't make a difference in my tests.

This issue is something the development team of Dropbox should have a look at. Disabling SIP is a crutch, not a fix.

Peter Y.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I have completely lost the ability to use Dropbox at all on my MBP running 10.11 (El Capitan) and regrettably had to close my Dropbox account.  I have spent a lot of time and effort following all of Robert S recommendations.  Still, my dropbox does not upload files or sync.  It begins and quits at some random point, showing a dialog forever that it is syncing even though it has stopped.  Looking for alternatives...

Peter Y.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I have finally resolved my issue with non-functioning Dropbox in Mac OSX El Capitan 10.11.5.  My problem was a complete failure to sync, upload, anything and I tried all the suggestions here regarding finder integration, such as csrutil disable.  None of that turned out to be my issue.

What finally resolved it for me was deletion of my Pro account and my Dropbox folder and starting over fresh.  Perhaps this cleared a hidden cache?  All is back to normal now.

Tomek L.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

disable csrutil->restart->fix permissions->restart->enable csrutil->restart

Finder integration works perfect now, even with csrutil turned on. Thank you guys!!!

Heath J.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Thanks Jason B. your solution worked for me.

lanstrad
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I was looking for that solution since a week ! - Thanks ! 

For some reason, Dropbox had disappeared from the Finder (although the icon still showed in upper right of screen and sync functions worked perfectly... (10.8.5) 

CorradoR
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Grazie, funziona benissimo!!!!

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Find Answers section here. ]
Need more support?