cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost my files after reinstallation

Lost my files after reinstallation

JacqGau
Helpful | Level 5

I had to reinstall Dropbox on my PC. In the process, Dropbox created a folder called "Dropbox (old)"with all my files.  When I access my account on the Web, my files are not there anymore as if I would be a new user. I tried to import the files from the new folder on my PC and the sharing properties doesn't seem to follow. I tried to uninstall and reinstall again and I now have two Dropbox directories on my PC. How can a proceed to synchronize or find files? 

After posting, I tried to access the Dropbox Web with another Browser (Microsoft Edge) and I can see my files with the proper shared files by me and to me. I originally used the Google Chrome. Is it possible to uninstall Dropbox desktop app clean and start fresh. I tried once an the Dropbox directory was not deleted by the uninstall. I tried with windows explorer and got the message that it was in used.

Thank you for your help!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Lost my files after reinstallation

JacqGau
Helpful | Level 5

I finally find my problem. When I reinstall the desktop app, I used the Google option to connect my account with a Gmail address. That created a new account. My account had been previously open with an Outlook address. I disconnected the account on the desktop app with the Gmail address and connected with my Outlook. I was able to delete, with windows explore, the other Dropbox directories created before after disconnecting and before reconnecting with the correct Email address. Hope this experience can help others users.

Thank you!

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

JacqGau
Helpful | Level 5

I finally find my problem. When I reinstall the desktop app, I used the Google option to connect my account with a Gmail address. That created a new account. My account had been previously open with an Outlook address. I disconnected the account on the desktop app with the Gmail address and connected with my Outlook. I was able to delete, with windows explore, the other Dropbox directories created before after disconnecting and before reconnecting with the correct Email address. Hope this experience can help others users.

Thank you!

View solution in original post

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hey @JacqGau, thanks for keeping us in the loop. 

Awesome work with the troubleshooting! 

If anything else comes up in the future, give us another shout and we'll make sure to get back to you as soon as possible. 

In the meantime, I hope you have a wonderful day ahead!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?