cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you an educator? Well we want to hear from you, so check out some tools we think might help you out here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost the tooltray icon

Lost the tooltray icon

GaryT
Explorer | Level 3

i recently lost the tooltray icon.  Tried to restart the app several times.  Uninstalled it and then reinstalled it but it does not run.  Using Windows 7 Pro 64bit.  The Programs and Features window in the control panel shows the program is there.  Windows Explorer shows the files in the Programs folder.  The Windows Task Manager application does not show it running even after trying to restart it several times.  Help please!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Lost the tooltray icon

Jay
Dropboxer

No worries! Let me know in a reply if things work out, or if you need further assistance. 🙂

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi Gary, could you check that the app isn’t hidden behind the :upwards_button: icon in the systray?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

GaryT
Explorer | Level 3

Jay,

The same thing just happend on another Win7 pc here.  A Microsoft window reports an error and shuts the program down and the icon dissappears.   Maybe it is something systemic and not the PCs!!

Gary

Jay
Dropboxer

Could you try doing an advanced reinstall to see if this helps resolve the issue?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

GaryT
Explorer | Level 3

Jay,

i did the advanced install per directions (uninstall, clean, then install using the oflne installer) and no joy, same result.  i rebooted the PC and no difference.  The program installs (all the files are in the correct location) but it does not run.

in the meantime, i was on a Windows 10 machine this morning in Windows explorer and something ran in the background and put a Dropbox icon at the same level as Favories, Libraries, Homegroup, Computer, and Netword.  i had previously created it as a Favorite and it stayed there.  When i clicked on the icon as a Favorite, it opened the dropbox folder.  When i clicked on it as a new higher level icon, it also worked.

Must be Gremblins at work.

Gary

Jay
Dropboxer

Just to check, if the icon appearing on the system tray or not?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

GaryT
Explorer | Level 3

No sir.  No DB icon. 

i even rebooted a couple of times to make sure it wasn't coming back.

Jay
Dropboxer
For the Windows 7 device, we think that updating the DisplayLink drivers of the affected computer may fix the overall issue you're experiencing. 

This is because when the update of the DisplayLink drivers succeeds, this then becomes a fix for a general issue rather than anything we can do to the Dropbox desktop application itself. Other cases similar to yours have already been fixed with updated DisplayLink drivers.

We recommend that you install the latest version of the DisplayLink drivers from the following website in order to continue troubleshooting this issue.

Make sure to choose the correct version depending on the version of your Windows operating system, then go ahead and restart your computer. 

At this point you should be able to run the latest version of the Dropbox desktop application.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

GaryT
Explorer | Level 3

Jay,

The saga is not over here.  The other pc (single monitor) here running Win7 that stopped running Dropbox like mine did started working again.  The icon magically returned and it works fine.  it did not use USB video like mine does (did).

On my pc, i tried to install a 4 monitor video card nvideo NVS440... to remove the two USB video adapters and it locked up the system.  I believe you are on the right track with the DisplayLink software comment.  i am reprogramming my pc and will see what it does then.  

For now, please consider the case closed and if i have more issues with the reprogramming, i know that you and the Dropbox team are there to help.  Thanks...

Gary

Jay
Dropboxer

No worries! Let me know in a reply if things work out, or if you need further assistance. 🙂

Jay
dropbox.com/support

View solution in original post

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropboxer
    GaryT Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?