Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Lots of "._Filename" created

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi,

I had Dropbox installed both on a PC and on a Mac. Suddenly and automatically I had thousands of files created. For each file and folder that was syncronized in the Mac a new file was created with the same name but strating with "._".

They are not big/heavy files (each is around 4Kb) but it is very frustrating to see al files double: the correct one and the "._" version that is useless.

Is there any way to delete all those "._" files? I tried making a search for all files starting with that but it won't make the search correctly.

Thanks and best regards,

1 Reply 1
Highlighted

Re: Lots of "._Filename" created

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @Jotaola - how are you today?

First off, thanks for posting your question here. Let me give you some more context about this now. 

Unfortunately what you see is a known Mac issue that occurs when copying files with extended attributes metadata into a file system that doesn't support them. Depending on the information stored in the metadata, you may or may not need these files.

More information on how to handle them can be found by searching for:  "apple double files"

To avoid this now, if you have your Dropbox folder on an external drive, make sure  that the drive is formatted in the default file system format for the Operating System that is installed. 

Additionally, note that formatting drives may cause data to be deleted. Please consult resources from your Operating System's manufacturer for steps and recommendations on formatting drives to a different file system. The most common default file systems are NTFS (Windows), HFS (Mac OS or ext4 (Linux). 

I hope this information helps and let me know if there's anything else I can help with. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?