I have had a Macbook Air M1 for a couple of months now. Had crashes up to kernel panics from the start.
I could boil it down to Dropbox after a few weeks.
At the moment I can crash my system repeatedly doing the following steps:
- start Dropbox on my Mac; files are located on an external USB drive.
- wait a short amount of time (during which the drive & Dropbox work fine)
- try to eject the external drive (whether Dropbox was quit before or not)
- the drive will not eject, the Finder will eventually lock up
- the HDD Utility will not eject the drive either and will lock up
- next there is two variants: the first one produces a kernel panic pretty quickly and the report after reboot says something about "IOMediaBSDClient"; the second one will crash only the Finder, which will then not be able to be restarted and eventually the whole system freezes, only to be rebooted by pressing the power button for a longer time
I replaced everything except for the Macbook, of course. And the different drives/ hubs (tried with and without hub)/ cables I tested work fine for days without issues when I do NOT use the dropbox client. But once I start the Dropbox client, the crashes will come, even if I do not try to eject the external drive with the Dropbox folder. Though not that often, maybe once/ twice a day.
Hope someone has an idea how to solve that. I would really continue with Dropbox as I have for the lat 10 years.
I did the advanced reinstall and it seemed to work. I will try to get by without the external hard drive, too. But my initial tests after the reinstall while still using the external drive did not show any of the issues there were before.