cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mac: Migration Assistant created two users and both show Dropbox contents

Mac: Migration Assistant created two users and both show Dropbox contents

DBMcNic
Explorer | Level 3

I've already researched why this happened and how to delete the old user. But my concern is my Dropbox folder shows under both user names. If I delete the old user and the content, will my Dropbox folder/files be safe and still accessible from my new user?

First photo is the old one and Dropbox is the only folder showing content that I don't want to lose.
Second photo is my active user account.

Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 2.53.10 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-01-15 at 2.53.14 PM.png

4 Replies 4

Re: Mac: Migration Assistant created two users and both show Dropbox contents

Walter
Dropboxer
Hey @DBMcNic; welcome to our Community!

As a first step here, can you check if the app has finished syncing in your menu bar

If it shows up to date, it means you're fully synced and your Dropbox folder should contain all of your account's data.

Make sure to double check it has all the files you need before deleting your old one. 

Keep me posted on your progress! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

DBMcNic
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks, I should have been clearer. I have been using this computer for months but am just now looking at cleaning up the double user setup in preparation for migrating to a new M1 Mac Mini as my primary. I just need to be sure when I delete the secondary admin user that shows Dropbox files and designate that user and its files be deleted, that Dropbox and those same files will remain under my main admin user. (Yeah, confusing....lol)

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

@DBMcNic wrote:

... I have been using this computer for months but am just now looking at cleaning up the double user setup in preparation for migrating to a new M1 Mac Mini as my primary. I just need to be sure ..., that Dropbox and those same files will remain under my main admin user. ...

Hi @DBMcNic,

There is a much more simple solution, I think. At the beginning, double check that all your files are successfully got in sync with your account and nothing is missing on Dropbox server, just to be sure. After that, you can migrate account you want to your new device without any Dropbox folder - don't move it(them). After migration  completes, keep your old device running (with LAN sync turn on), while setup Dropbox on the new device (again, with LAN sync on). The Dropbox folder gonna "migrate" itself with everything inside. The new Dropbox folder configuration will be what you have selected on setup of the new device. Everything will migrate with your LAN speed. No any chance for confusion. 😉 When Dropbox "migration" (sync) completes your old device can get in deserved retirement. Even if something gets wrong while sync, nothing tragic, just sync speed will no more be LAN, but limited by your ISP (in all cases you don't stop).

Good luck.

DBMcNic
Explorer | Level 3

I guess I need to start over. I had an old MacBook Pro and got a new MacBook Air. I used Migration Assistant to move everything from my MacBook Pro to my Air. I kept Dropbox on both since the Pro was my backup machine. I recently sold the Pro and removed it from Dropbox.

But the Air shows the two logins...I've been using the main one for months now but would like to delete the second login but am nervous since it also shows all my Dropbox files. I am trying to clean up the Air before I migrate it to a new M1 Mac Mini, plus then I will understand better how to get rid of the second login on the Mini, if one is created.

My current solution is to copy everything in Dropbox to an SD card as an extra backup (besides TimeMachine & Carbonite), then delete the old login on the Air. Sounds like that is the simplest solution. Thanks!

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?