cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Get summer ready with Dropbox basic - travel documents, plans, progress reminders and more, right over here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mac OS X Mojave 10.14.2 - greyed out menu and no connection even after complete re-install

Mac OS X Mojave 10.14.2 - greyed out menu and no connection even after complete re-install

DIRKvdb
Explorer | Level 3

Hi, I read through various forum entries and did do the complete removal and re-installation procedure including the usual terminal commands, but DropBox does not start. What is even worse now after the complete removal is that I am unable to even sign in. 

I re-downloaded DropBox last version (Dropbox 65.4.177) as a .dmg. The installation from the disk image failed, I had to move the DropBox.app to the hard disk.   

I then got several messages of "DropBox unable to connect" even though there is NO firewall here. I am on German Vodafone Cable Internet with a 100MB/s network connection. Network settings in DropBox are set to "no proxies".   

I am on a MacBook Pro 2018 with Mac OS X 10.14.2 installed with are no Finder enhancements installed. SIP is "on".

I have a DropBox Pro account. Accessing the data is not for fun but compulsory for the project we are doing here.

Browsing this entire forum there seems to be no way whatsoever out of this, the only "solutions" provided are the standard ones that rely on the conventional removal and re-installation procedures that I all went through three times by now. Please do not put the blame on Apple. They build the system, you build the enhancement, so it's you who have to provide a soliution here. 

I am inclined to say that I start finding this very very very uncool from you guys at DropBox. But I might be convinced of the contrary… I actually really hope so.

10 Replies 10

Re: Mac OS X Mojave 10.14.2 - greyed out menu and no connection even after complete re-install

DIRKvdb
Explorer | Level 3

Addendum: when I say "complete removal and re-installation" I am referring to what here on the forum is called the "advanced reinstall". I did that four times now, including all Terminal commands and the whole shebang. 

Re: Mac OS X Mojave 10.14.2 - greyed out menu and no connection even after complete re-install

Lusil
Dropboxer
Sorry to hear that, @DIRKvdb, and thanks for carrying out some of our troubleshooting steps - awesome work! 

In order to have a more in-depth look into this matter, we’d have to move this discussion to email. For this reason, I was able to locate your open request from my end and have replied to you via email. Please check your inbox for my latest message and we’ll take it from there. 

Thanks in advance!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

pskeen
Explorer | Level 4

I am having this exact issue as well (upgrade from 10.13 to 10.14.2).

Would like to hear the result of your troubleshooting over email.

Thanks,

Philip

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hey Philip, are you also having trouble starting up your desktop app? Have you given any troubleshooting steps a try? Are you getting any errors? 

If you are, a screenshot (omitting personal info) would be very helpful so as to have a better understanding of what you’re seeing. Thanks!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

pskeen
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Lusil,

My main computer is an iMac on 10.13 that is working fine.

My wife has a 2014 Mac Mini on 10.12 with her Dropbox that was working for her fine.

I have 2 external drives in USB3 cases, basic installs with tool apps for troubleshooting and installs. One is 10.14, a second running 10.12.

In the past I boot these external drives up and my Dropbox installed on each would update the various changes from my main iMac, or from other files I may add from work or other places.

I upgraded the wife’s Mac Mini from 10.12 directly to 10.14 with Apple's regular install process. Most everything worked except for my home GB network Drobo 5N and Dropbox. 

As I rebooted with each of the external drives (10.12 & 10.14) I noticed that each booted drive is has the Dropbox menu bar icon "grayed out".

Currently I am booted from the 10.12 SSD external on the Mac Mini. I have de-installed Dropbox using AppDelete (which finds various system supporting files, along with using Activity Monitor to kill various Dropbox processes which I then deleted. I then re-installed Dropbox from the website. I have done this 3 times on this SSD on the Mac Mini. I have done this process about 6 times on one drive or another. The last time I did the “Advanced De-Install” using the terminal commands before a fresh re-install of Dropbox.

In each case, the result is a “grayed out” Menu bar pull down constantly “Connecting …”. Sometimes it says that there is no Internet when there is. 

- If I choose “Sign In” from that menu pulldown, nothing happens. No webpage opening or other dialog box.

- If I choose “Settings” from that menu pulldown, it shows the version installed (v65.4.177); 

- Account - “isn’t linked to an account” and the Unlink button is grayed out;

- Sync  has two buttons that are grayed out also for choosing Sync folders and Dropbox folder location (which is correct for that Home directory).

This is similar on both SSD external drives (10.12 & 10.14) and on the recently updated Mac Mini now running 10.14.3.

I do have “Little Snitch” running on some of these drives but Dropbox has full rights for incoming and outgoing connections.

Any suggestions on why I cannot get Dropbox to run or sync with Mine nor my wife’s Dropbox accounts on these new drives?

Thank you for any help,

Philip

BTW - I cannot add and .png or .jpg files to your “Drag photos/files here”. Just doesn’t work after I pick a file from the dialog box. Drag & drop doesn’t work for me either.

Lusil
Dropboxer
Thanks for the detailed explanation, @pskeen, awesome work! 

At first, I wanted to mention that, if you’ve placed the Dropbox folder on an external drive, please bear in mind that the Dropbox folder must be available when your computer boots and before the Dropbox desktop app starts. 

For example, if the desktop app starts before such a drive mounts and gets recognized by your computer, you'll see an error. In general, Dropbox will then give you the opportunity to relink your account or exit if it can’t find your Dropbox folder.

Furthermore, any device considered as Removable media by your OS are not supported locations for the Dropbox folder. Dropbox works best when hosted on your computer's main internal drive, or on a physically connected external hard drive.

Having said that, I’d recommend locating your Dropbox folder in the same location as your OS. Maybe that will do the trick. 

Let me know of any updates! :upside_down:

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

pskeen
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Lusil,

Thanks for your reply.

The Dropbox folder is always in its default Home directory location, granted on two test units that are USB3 SSD drives (10.12 HFS+ & 10.14 APFS). The third instance is a 1 TB SATA drive (APFS) on the Mac Mini in its default Home directory location. I have not had problems in the past with Dropbox linking on a USB/Firewire drive until now. 

The Dropbox folder should be available to that Home directory in each of the three cases here.

The strange thing is that Dropbox is not sending any error messages except for a "computer not connected to the internet..." error message after about 5 minutes from bootup. The computer is connected to the internet though, so I'm not sure where Dropbox is failing.

Again the Menu bar Dropbox settings are trying to connect, the account is unlinked, if I pick the "Sign In" menu item under the gear - nothing happens.

I can see several Dropbox services running in Activity Monitor.

Double clicking on the Dropbox app does nothing.

One issue is that the local 10.14 SATA drive was auto formatted to APFS. Not sure if that is a factor or not.

Any suggestions how to fix this thing?

Thanks again,

Philip

Lusil
Dropboxer
Thanks for the detailed reply, Philip, much appreciated. 

As a first step, could you please check if there are any third-party apps that could be blocking/hindering the app from running, like an antivirus? 

You could also try temporarily disabling your antivirus or security program or configure your firewall to work with Dropbox, maybe that will do the trick. 

Furthermore, you can have a look through this article for more suggestions in case you come across something that might help resolve this for you. 

If you’re still experiencing the same behavior, try an advanced reinstallation - maybe that will do the trick, instead. 

If this doesn’t resolve this either, we’d have to move this discussion to email due to account-specific info that’s needed to further investigate, in which case, I can contact you to your email address associated with your Forum profile. 

Let me know how it goes and I’ll make sure to get back to you as soon as possible. Cheers!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

pskeen
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Lusil,

Getting back to you now. Our heater went out on the first snow day of the year here in Oregon - Fun!

Frustrated, I decided to reformat my wife's Mac Mini 1 TB SATA drive. I then clean installed mac os 10.13 and then installed Dropbox - no other installs. I do not use the built-in firewall, I use the FW in the Synology router. I saw no ability to add a application (like Dropbox) to the firewall rules, just that the mac mini has HTTP & HTTPS access.

I got the same behaviour as before with a Dropbox error message saying that it could not connect to the internet, alothough I do have internet with Safari web browser.

I did do the Advanced reinstallation (twice) with the same Dropbox results.

I think im ready for a email specific troubleshooting session.

Please let me know how to proceed.

Thanks

Philip

Poll
Which Dropbox Plan do you have?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lusil Dropboxer
    pskeen Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?