cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mac: System hangs during sync, with possible solution

Mac: System hangs during sync, with possible solution

MichaelWeber
Explorer | Level 3

I have a lot of files (about 2.5M).  have found that during syncing my mid-2014 Mac Pro (Mojave) gets really slow and unresponsive, meaning:

- high Dropbox CPU usage (sometimes >200%, i.e. 2 cores running on full power)

- no progress of syncing

- very sluggish UI, making it impossible to use the system

- fan may run high, then slows down again

- shutdown/restart takes extremely long, making it necessary to power cycle

At first I thought it was a problem with the system overheating, so I purchased a cooling pad, installed Macs Fan Control - didn't help.  Also, upgrading to Professional and enabling Smart Sync didn't help; Dropbox still takes a long time and high CPU.  After countless hours with tech support; relinking dropbox and going as far as re-installing the OS, I finally was able to resolve the problem by - drum roll! - disabling the screen saver in System Preferences!

It still takes days to sync all my files, and I didn't want the screen to be on all the time with the screen saver disabled, therefore I set the Energy Saver preferences as follows:  Turn display off after 15 min; Prevent computer from sleeping automatically; Wake for WiFi network access; Enable Power Nap.

I hope that this post helps others who are experiencing hangs or sluggish performance on their Mac when syncing a large number of files.

3 Replies 3

Re: Mac: System hangs during sync, with possible solution

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hey @MichaelWeber, thanks for letting us know what did the trick for you - awesome work on the troubleshooting! 

If you have any further feedback, comments or even questions in the future, don’t hesitate to get give us a shout. In the meantime, have a wonderful week ahead! :grin:

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

quentinleo
Explorer | Level 3

@Lusil wrote:
Hey @MichaelWeber, thanks for letting us know what did the trick for you - awesome work on the troubleshooting! 

If you have any further feedback, comments or even questions in the future, don’t hesitate to get give us a shout. In the meantime, have a wonderful week ahead! :grin:

Glad you got up and running. Has the fix remained fixed?

I have worked on this all week. Dropbox and my main Mac running Mojave have ground to a halt. It hasn't billed even one cent this week. 

This is the second time this year that Dropbox has crapped out like this.  

Dropbox works fine on my High Sierra Macbook works OK. But that's like swimming upstream with one arm and one leg.

As of today I'm advising my clients to get off Dropbox. It's too broken. 

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hi there @quentinleo, sorry to hear that you're having trouble with the desktop app. 

As a first step, could you ensure that you're running the latest stable version of the desktop app (78.4.119) on your device by hovering over the Dropbox icon that's next to your computer's clock?

Please bear in mind that a beta version can be recognized by a xx.3.xx, instead of a xx.4.xx. So, if you're on a beta build, it means that you have opted in to Early Releases in your online account settings. 

If you are on the stable version and you're having this experience though, could you please provide me with a screenshot (without any personal info) of what the Dropbox icon shows when you hover over it, along with any error message that you're seeing?

Let me know how it goes!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?