cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mac changed system name

Mac changed system name

msadesign
Explorer | Level 3

Looks like I did something dumb: I changed the User name in my Mac (following Apple's instructions; this was not just a Finder rename). Now Dropbox won't start, giving me the same small window talking about permissions, but that doesn't seem to be the case here?

New:

/Users/ms.ParkHouse/Dropbox/Writing Projects/ 

Old:

/Users/ms/Dropbox/Writing Projects/

I didn't move any of the dropbox files at all. How do I fix this?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Mac changed system name

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

Hi @msadesign,

In future when plan such or other system change, better unlink your Dropbox application in advance and link it back at the end. Seems like a bug, but such a change unexpected for the application confuses it. 🤷 That's it. Since you have put in confusion your Dropbox application, already, the account link should be forcibly unlink. Once this done, you will be able link it back as usual. Just execute following command in terminal:

rm -rf ~/.dropbox

... run and link the application back to your account. 😉

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

Hi @msadesign,

In future when plan such or other system change, better unlink your Dropbox application in advance and link it back at the end. Seems like a bug, but such a change unexpected for the application confuses it. 🤷 That's it. Since you have put in confusion your Dropbox application, already, the account link should be forcibly unlink. Once this done, you will be able link it back as usual. Just execute following command in terminal:

rm -rf ~/.dropbox

... run and link the application back to your account. 😉

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

msadesign
Explorer | Level 3

Yep. Thanks…

Poll
How do you get refocussed while working from home? Do you find any of these options keep you from getting distracted?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?