Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mac desktop Sign In to D.B. App using iCloud Pswd

Jack887 New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I'm using Mac OS 10.15.2  "Catalina".   Newly-installed DropBox app, and the Sign In box doesn't seem to support my system-generated complex password stored in iCloud when using the App.  

I do have a DB account using a gmail address, and my Mac and iOS devices allow retrieval of my complex iCloud password when signing in to DropBox via your website.  

I prefer not to sign in with Google, nor to allow accessibility.   Thanks! 

3 Replies 3

Re: Mac desktop Sign In to D.B. App using iCloud Pswd

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey there @Jack887, thanks for checking in with us!

When you install the Dropbox desktop app, it creates a folder containing all your folders and files in your Dropbox account. Unless you selectively sync folders, you'll be able to access synced items locally. 

If you don't want to have this direct access from your desktop, you'll have to unlink every time you want to sign out and relink your computer when you want to sync again.

Please remember that unlinking doesn't remove the Dropbox folder from your hard drive - it just stops the desktop app from syncing online. 

As for the inability to apply your password when you try to sign in through the desktop app, could you please let me know if you've also tried copy-pasting it in manually? 

Let me know of any updates!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Jack887 New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi Lusil - The "Set Up Dropbox" sign in page doesn't permit pasting my Mac Keychain password ... nor does it allow pasting my email address (in the appropriate entry field).   So no copy-paste is possible when I try to sign in the first time using newly-installed DB App.   Again, I'd prefer not to sign in using Google or Apple options.   Thanks!   

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for trying that out for me, @Jack887

Out of curiosity, are you able to type your login credentials to sign in to the desktop app?

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?