cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mac: "dropbox would like to control this computer using accessibility features"

Mac: "dropbox would like to control this computer using accessibility features"

asdfasdf1
Explorer | Level 3

The above message poped up out of the blue.

1. Why does dropbox want to control my computer (out of the blue)?
  2. Should I let it?
  3. What hapens if I dont?
  4. What does accessability (e.g. reading for hearing impared) have to do with dropbox?
  5. Where is there no official clarification of this issue from dropbox (that I can find)?

This certainly sounds like malware.

6 Replies 6

Re: Mac: "drobox would like to control this computer using accessibility features"

asdfasdf1
Explorer | Level 3

To clarify, I hit "deny", as any sane security conscious person would.

Re: Mac: "drobox would like to control this computer using accessibility features"

Rich
Super User II

asdfasdf1
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for the reply. None of the "it might be this" reasons in that post seem to be relevant, e.g. I am not syncing with mobile or photos, and I am not sharing or redirecting any folders. Also, nothing has changed since dropbox not asking for this and now its asking for it. 

Drobox seems to be running fine even though I hit Deny, which makes it even more suspect.

Rich
Super User II

Your Dropbox client was likely automatically updated, which prompted the request for permissions. If you had previously denied those permissions, Dropbox would need to ask for them again.

There's nothing nefarious going on. Dropbox isn't taking control of your computer. Some features of Dropbox simply require permissions that Apple chose to bury in the Accessibility area.

naguibihelek
Explorer | Level 4

Is this the same message?

Looks suspicious because of the long nameScreenshot 2019-09-19 15.04.15.pngScreenshot 2019-09-19 15.04.15.png

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hey @asdfasdf1 and @naguibihelek

Welcome to the Dropbox Community!

At first, I wanted to thank you for your reports and let you know that our team is aware and looking into this. 

Additionally, you can also have a look at this Help Center article for more info as to why the desktop app may want to turn on accessibility. 

Hope this helps to some extent!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?