cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MacOS Big Sur Smart Sync is experiencing an issue

MacOS Big Sur Smart Sync is experiencing an issue

jdb1213
New member | Level 2

I have been getting this error:  

"Smart Sync is experiencing an issue"

I have had this error through multiple iterations of Big Sur public betas.  I tried to install and reinstall.  Didn't fix it.  I tired to restart the computer... the issue still presisted.  

Finally, I figured out what worked for me:

1.) I made sure that I had the latest version of Dropbox desktop app for MacOS installed

2.) I went to my Mac    System Preferences >  Security & Privacy > Full Disk Access

Dropbox was already slected to have full disk access.

3.) I unselected the box for Dropbox in full disk access (which required me to click the little padlock in the bottom left to give me access to complete this task).

4.) I fully quit dropbox

5.) I restarted the dropbox app

6.) I went back to System Preferences >  Security & Privacy > Full Disk Access and re-selected the box giving full disk access to Dropbox.

7.) I fully quit dropbox, again.

8.) I restarted dropbox.

Now, when I double click on a file in any of my folders on my mac that has a little hollow cloud beside it (indicating that it is not currently stored on my local storage of my computer, but is instead in the cloud), it automatically downloads -- creating a cloud with a green check mark beside that file -- that file and opens the file.  I no longer have the pop up warning in the dropbox app that says "Smart Sync is experiencing an issue."

12 Replies 12

Re: MacOS Big Sur Smart Sync is experiencing an issue

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hey @jdb1213, thanks for reaching out and letting us know what did the trick for you. 

Awesome work with the troubleshooting! 

If anything else comes up or you have any feedback for us, don't hesitate to give us another nudge. 

In the meantime, I hope you have a lovely day ahead!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

grahamsims
Explorer | Level 4

I was experiencing exactly the same problems, tearing my hair out deleting, reinstalling etc, but this solution worked for me and Dropbox is now back working properly again.

grahamsims
Explorer | Level 4

Not a permanent fix for me. Problem is back again and doesn't want to go away. Constantly seeing message "Smart Sync is experiencing an issue."

GregorBeyerle
Helpful | Level 6

This didn't work for me. What I had to do was completely reinstall Dropbox (also clearing out Library, Cache, Preferences...), then remove all remaining 'Security & Privacy' -> 'Privacy' permissions of Dropbox, restart, then reinstall Dropbox. I needed to do this so that the "Allow System Extensions" dialogue would appear in 'Security & Privacy' -> 'General'. Only after I allowed this, the Smart Sync warning disappeared.

JRP M.
Collaborator | Level 8

Did not fix for Me,

I still get no DROPBOX sub-menu items/options when right-clicking on a DROPBOX file location and cannot chnage to online or offline.

Screenshot 2020-12-31 at 11.21.21.pngScreenshot 2020-12-31 at 11.21.28.png

JRP M.
Collaborator | Level 8

Screenshot 2020-12-31 at 11.23.05.png

Daphne
Dropboxer

Thanks for joining us here @JRP M.!

I'm wondering if you might be having a different issue here. It would be strange for an issue with Smart Sync to cause you not see any of the Dropbox context menu items.

Could you send me a screenshot of the sync status the app is showing, when you click the Dropbox icon in your menu bar?

Also, if you haven't already, please reboot your computer to ensure that the app is refreshed.

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

kwazny
New member | Level 2

Hi, 

I'm unable to open files from DropBox that are in the Cloud on my computer since upgrading to Big Sur. I get the message that I don't have permissions (despite DropBox having full disk access permissions). 

For some files, a dialogue box comes up asking me to 'grant permissions' which I do but it still says it's unable to open.

Any suggestions?

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hey @kwazny, thanks for nudging us on this thread. 

Did you by any chance install the desktop app with admin privileges? 

If you did, could you send us a screenshot of the error message that you get when you try to open files?

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Poll
How do you get refocussed while working from home? Do you find any of these options keep you from getting distracted?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?